September 19 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
QPR’s plans to build a new stadium by 2018 have hit a major roadblock with the news that Cargiant are moving ahead with redevelopment plans which do not involve the club.
Rangers chairman Tony Fernandes said earlier this month that he was confident the new stadium in Old Oak Common, Willesden, would go ahead.
At the time, he said: “It’s disappointing [to see] some of the press that has come out from Cargiant, but I’ve been through this many times, with airlines and stuff.
“We are making great progress and I still believe those dates are achievable.”
Last month, Tony Mendes, the managing director of Cargiant, called Rangers’ plans for a new stadium “speculative and presumptuous” as his company would need to be relocated for the project to go ahead.
The west London company has now confirmed that they will not be partnering QPR in their plans for a new stadium.
The car supermarket said: “Cargiant is pleased to confirm that plans for the comprehensive redevelopment of their land holdings in NW10 are being prepared as part of the Greater London Authority’s vision for the Old Oak Common Opportunity Area.
“The proposals being developed for the Cargiant site will support the vision for Old Oak by creating new homes for London, vibrant and attractive commercial space and public realm and a significant number of jobs.
“The plans will also support the HS2 and Crossrail initiatives in terms of mix of uses and density.
“There are no discussions or plans to partner with QPR on these.”
A QPR spokesman has confirmed that Cargiant’s plans for the area do not include the club.
Follow me on Twitter @RobBrennan82