June 18 2013 Latest news:
Chloë Mayer, Senior Reporter
Friday, July 13, 2012
A dad-of-three who stabbed a man in the face and chest during a “frenzied” attack in broad daylight was jailed for seven years today (Friday).
Junior Mukendi, 34, who told Snaresbrook Crown Court that victim Eric Lukusa was blackmailing him, used a large kitchen knife resembling a “weapon from a horror movie” during the attack in Mabley Street, Homerton.
Terrified witnesses saw Mukendi chase Mr Lukusa down the quiet residential road, before slashing him repeatedly, leaving his victim crying ‘Oh, mother, I’m going to die’.
Mr Lukusa was rushed to hospital with a deep facial wound, which has left a permanent scar, and cuts to his chest.
The court heard Mukendi and Mr Lukusa had rowed two days before the attack on July 11, last year.
Mukendi, who has numerous previous convictions, pleaded guilty to a single charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Sentencing, Judge Nigel Peters QC, said: “This was a frenzied attack with a large kitchen knife causing injury to the chest and a large cut to the face.
“If you scar someone, particularly on the face, in my judgement that is a major aggravating feature.
“This was in the street, much to the horror of people watching, and one witness described it as a weapon from a horror movie.”
Ross Cohen, defending, said Mukendi acted “in the heat of the moment” after claiming Mr Lukusa, who is currently serving an 18-month sentence for robbery at Pentonville Prison, had been trying to extort money from him.
Mukendi, of Beresford Court, Mabley Street, initially denied the offence but his first trial, last December, collapsed due to legal reasons and the jury was discharged.
He later changed his plea after a witness came forward and identified him as Mr Lukusa’s attacker.