Search

Poplar dad found guilty of murdering 13-week-old son

PUBLISHED: 17:56 28 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:57 28 March 2017

Mohammed Miah (Pictures: Met Police)

Mohammed Miah (Pictures: Met Police)

A man who attempted to blame a young child for the death of a 13-week-old baby has been found guilty of the tot’s murder.

Rebeka NazminRebeka Nazmin

Mohammed Miah, 37, was found guilty of killing little Rifat, who was born with a deformity, by a majority of 11 to 1 following a trial at the Old Bailey.

Jurors cleared the baby’s mother, Rebeka Nazmin, 32, of murder but found her guilty by majority of causing or allowing the death of her baby and causing him suffering.

The court was told that Rifat was found apparently lifeless on the floor of the family home in St Leonard’s Road, Poplar, on the morning of July 4 last year.

Nazmin called 999 and the youngster was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital, where he died from brain injuries the following day.

The infant, who wore a baby grow with the words “I love my mummy”, had been either severely shaken or hit against a hard surface.

An examination of his body revealed 38 rib fractures, eight fractures to his legs and a broken spine from being squeezed and pulled.

The baby was also hit with the cord of a mobile phone charger and burned on a radiator, the trial heard.

The court was hold how both parents tried to blame Rifat’s death on another child.

In an interview with police, the child said Nazmin had instructed him to shake Rifat and flick water on his face in an apparent attempt to throw suspicion away from her husband.

Under cross-examination by video link, the primary-school age child, who cannot be identified, told jurors: “I see Rifat in the corner, red and hot, then doing something, then he just lies there doing nothing. He didn’t even wake up.

“I felt his head if he had temperature. I told (Nazmin) about it and she said I should shake him or put water on him. If he wakes, he’s fine. If not, I will have to call the ambulance.”

Following Rifat’s death, Nazmin also said her husband had a problem with their baby’s deformed hand and ear, saying he might have abused him because of it.

She was heard to say: “He killed my baby. Tell his dad he has died, that’s what he wants.”

Giving evidence, Miah denied hurting his baby son, saying that children “mean the world to me”. He was cleared of cruelty to two other children.

Speaking after the verdict was delivered, Det Insp Ken Hughes said: “We may never know why a mother and father inflicted such terrible injuries on their own small baby.

“Even if we had that knowledge, I am not sure we could ever understand.

“This baby should have been protected and loved; instead he lived with hurt, indifference and brutality. I am glad that these two have been called to account for their actions and now face the consequences of their cruelty.

An NSPCC spokesman said: “In his tragically short life, Rifat suffered horrendous abuse at the hands of his own father, the very person who should have been protecting and nurturing him.

“His catalogue of injuries is deeply shocking and everyone who has followed this trial will have been deeply affected by the evidence of brutality that blighted Rifat’s 13 weeks of life.”

Miah and Nazmin are due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey tomorrow.

Latest East London News Stories

Older people in Tower Hamlets are being trained in classical dance by the English National Ballet to commemorate a century since the end of the First World War.

08:18

Police are looking for the driver of a suspicious vehicle which sped away as they approached and was a then in a hit-and-run incident in Spitalfields yesterday.

Yesterday, 15:17

One thousand people left their offices following a basement blaze in Canary Wharf this afternoon.

Yesterday, 13:06

Campaigners have finally sunk plans for the controversial Enderby Wharf cruise-liner terminal going ahead which would have polluted a huge swathe of the Thames and the Isle of Dogs.

Yesterday, 11:00

An advice clinic set up as a temporary free service at Stratford following cuts to legal aid has won a funding contract for a permanent operation.

Tue, 18:00

Optician director Jayesh Maru has seen his way to the ancient mountain-top Inca capital of Machu Picchu and has found his way back to east London.

Tue, 13:36

Children have spent four years researching the life of a pupil at their school more than 100 years ago who was later awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously after being killed in the First World War.

Tue, 09:54

Small businesses occupying railway arches in east London facing crippling rent rises as much as 350 per cent have been promised a tenants’ charter to safeguard their trading.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Are you a landlord looking for a fixed rental income, paid whether the property is empty or not? Steve Westley, general manager at estate agents Elliot Leigh, explains their Guaranteed Rent Scheme and how it takes the stress out of letting your property.

Newsletter Sign Up

East London Advertiser twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now