Two more arrested in “Muslim patrol” investigation

19:28 24 January 2013

Police investigating a self-styled “Muslim patrol” gang made two more arrests today, Scotland Yard said.

Men aged 25 and 29 are in custody, bringing the number held so far in the investigation to four, a spokesman said.

Officers are investigating a string of incidents in east London over the weekend of January 12 and 13 where the group harassed members of the public.

A video posted on YouTube showed the gang hurling homophobic abuse at one man, who the police have urged to come forward.

In a second video, also posted online, men from the gang in Whitechapel tell another man “no drink in this area, it’s a Muslim area” before ordering him to pour away his alcohol.

Detective Chief Inspector Wendy Morgan from Tower Hamlets borough said: “The Met takes such homophobic behaviour very seriously.

“This man is a crucial witness in the investigation and we would encourage him and anyone else with information relating to this incident to make contact in confidence as soon as possible.”

Additional police patrols are being mounted across east London to reassure the public.

A 22-year-old man was arrested in Acton, west London on Sunday, and a 19-year-old man was held after going to an east London police station on Monday.

They have been bailed to return to police on March 12 and March 11 respectively.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 21:37
Aerial view of proposed Rotherhithe Bridge [image: reForm Architects]

Plans to build a new bridge across the Thames between Canary Wharf and Rotherhithe on either side have reached completion in a new feasibility study.

The proposed ‘Rotherhithe Bridge’ would have the longest bascule span in the world, at 600ft (184m), for use by pedestrians and cyclists.

Yesterday, 13:23
Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs and (inset) Chancellor Goerge Osborne

The government is being challenged today by the mayor of one of Britain’s most deprived areas not to cut funding for vital public services as Chancellor George Osborne makes his Autumn statement to Parliament.

Yesterday, 13:13
Fiirefighters from Poplar fire station - which is at risk of losing an engine Picture: Isabel Infantes

Poplar is at risk of permanently losing one of its fire engines under plans that will result in firefighters taking longer to reach blazes in the borough.

Yesterday, 12:00
Charlie and Wallace face eviction

Meet two ‘rescue’ dogs named Wallace and Charlie who face being evicted from their home by social landlords in the run-up to Christmas.

Yesterday, 07:00
Lock Gates being replaced on Regent's Canal at Mile End

Part of the Regent’s Canal has been drained in London’s East End to remove two ancient lock gates that have passed their ‘sell by ‘ dates.

New gates—weighing about the same as a three-tonne family car—have been hand-crafted at the Canal & River Trust workshops in Yorkshire to replace them.

Tue, 19:11
View from the Ferris wheel at last year's Winterville

A sprawling festive town filled with seasonal feasts, markets and entertainment has sprung up in Victoria Park for the second year running.

Tue, 14:10
Vallie founders Robin Doble (L) and Nash Islam (R)

Tech City is the third largest technology hub in the world, and it’s right on our doorstep. Each week, we bring you news from the thriving area around Old Street roundabout. This week, reporter Sophie Inge talks to Nash Islam, co-founder of Vallie, the UK’s first on-demand app-based valet parking service.

Mon, 17:58
Ex-Tower Hamlets mayor Lutfur Rahman

Deposed mayor Lutfur Rahman has been declared bankrupt ahead of next week’s High Court hearing into his assets following legal costs which haven’t been paid since he was barred from office seven months ago.

The former executive mayor of Tower Hamlets in London’s East End, who was disqualified in April for election malpractice and corruption, is due to return to the Court for a three-day hearing opening next Tuesday.

Most read news


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Docklands and East London Advertiser e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder