A fish’n’chip shop in London’s East End has had a traditional makeover and been turned into an historic memorial to the victims of Jack the Ripper—at the spot where the Victorian serial killer taunted police with a message chalked on a wall.
A descendant of a police officer involved in the 1888 Whitechapel Murders opened Saturday’s session of a three-day Jack the Ripper convention in London’s East End marking the 125th anniversary of the “autumn of terror”.
A major Jack the Ripper convention is being staged in London’s East End where the Victorian serial killer stalked, marking the 125th anniversary of the Whitechapel Murders and their social impact on the deprived population.
Lizzie Stride, known as ‘Long Liz’, wears a black jacket and skirt with a posy of a red rose in a spray of maidenhair fern leaves and a black crêpe bonnet the last time she is seen alive, on September 29, 1888.
Another mutilated body of a woman is found at 5.30am on September 8, 1888, in the back yard of a rooming house at 29 Hanbury-street—the second murder in nine days within a mile, the third in less than a month!
An historian delving into Jack the Ripper’s first known victim 125 years ago has raised £650 for a memorial to Britain’s worst civilian wartime disaster more than half-a-century after the Whitechapel Murders.
The inquest into Polly Nichols’ brutal murder opens at 9am today, September 1, 1888, a day after her death, the hearing being heard at a packed Working Lads’ Institute in the Whitechapel-road, opposite the London Hospital.
The body of the woman Polly Nichols is found mutilated today at 3.30am, August 31, 1888, on the cobbled carriageway in front of a stable entrance at Essex Wharf in Buck’s-row, behind Whitechapel railway station.