Search

Thousands of people pack into Victoria Park for BT London Live Olympic event

11:47 01 August 2012

People can enjoy music performances at BT London Live in Victoria Park during the Olympics.

People can enjoy music performances at BT London Live in Victoria Park during the Olympics.

Archant

More than 50,000 people have visited Victoria Park for a free event featuring big screens with Olympic action and live entertainment.

Around 18,000 people turned out on Friday when Danny’s Boyle’s Olympic Opening Ceremony was beamed across the park’s three screens. A third of the tickets had been booked in advance for the BT London Live event with the rest turning up at the gate.

Project manager, Patrick Loy, said: “A lot of people started queuing around 8pm and we just about managed to get almost everyone in before the ceremony started at 9pm.

“It’s been a very good natured crowd and the park is attracting a lot of families from across London.”

The event at Victoria Park running throughout the Olympics features live music with upcoming performances from names such as Alexandra Burke, Alyssa Reid and Jazzie B and Friends.

A 55m high Observation Wheel offers views of the Olympic Park, while visitors can have a go at sports such as fencing and badminton.

Mr Loy said: “We’ve had delays in getting the zip-line, a 300metre wire that allows you to fly through the air from a tower, up and running because of delays in putting it together and testing it. But we hope to get it working soon.”

London Mayor Boris Johnson will be visiting the park’s sport court today at 12.30pm.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:11
Victoria Phillips and daughter Antonia Payne-Cheney, 17

Teenager Antonia Payne-Cheney is spending Christmas in the youngsters’ ward after languishing 10 months in hospital unable to walk.

Yesterday, 16:25
Tenant Jackie Harris talking to Andrew Nowakowski from Circle Housing and Pol Sgt Carl Sampson about using SmartWater on her possessions [pictures: Arnaud Stephenson]

Families have been getting smart with their valuables in tackling the wave of theft and burglary in London’s East End.

Friday, November 21, 2014
Sir John Cass school in Stepney Way [Google Streetview]

A call for more local authority powers has been made by a Safeguarding Children board to protect youngsters in the wake of today’s critical Ofsted reports into Islamic fundamentalist links in schools in London’s East End.

Friday, November 21, 2014
Sir John Cass Redcoat in Stepney way  [picture: Google Streetview] and Tower Hamlets education chief Robert McCulloch-Graham (inset)

Critical reports on six Muslim independent schools and a State comprehensive in London’s East End are expected today from the Ofsted watchdog, following government concerns about Islamic fundamentalism links.

Most read news

Fears over growing extremist threat that is expected to continue for several years.

Once inside, one man held a seven-inch kitchen knife to a victim’s throat while another threatened a second victim with a knife.

His lawyers want the case against him in South Africa dropped.

It’s that time of year again, who do you think should win the Sports Personality of the Year award?

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Docklands and East London Advertiser e-edition today E-edition