FA Youth Cup: Sam Dalby double helps Leyton Orient’s under-18s book second round spot with comfortable win over Biggleswade Town

PUBLISHED: 10:00 09 November 2017

Sam Dalby celebrates after finding the net for Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Sam Dalby celebrates after finding the net for Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road (pic: Simon O'Connor).

07958 573219

FA Youth Cup first round: Leyton Orient 5 Biggleswade Town 0

Leyton Orient eased through to the next round of the FA Youth Cup last night with a 5-0 win over Biggleswade Town at Brisbane Road.

After a nervy start, Sam Dalby opened the scoring for O’s and Danny Webb’s side never looked back.

Dalby added another with Eric Lopes netting a brace and Harry Kyprianou also on target to send Orient into the second round.

The O’s youngsters were supported by a number of former academy graduates at Brisbane Road.

Charlie Grainger, Aron Pollock, Michael Clark and Charley Barker were all present for the first round clash while first-team captain Charlie Lee was also in attendance.

But it was actually Biggleswade who made the stronger start with Elliott Beevor signalling his intent from off.

The Waders number nine tested Arthur Janata inside three minutes with a curling effort that was pushed away from the goal by the O’s custodian.

Beevor was involved again 60 seconds later when his cross caused panic inside the Orient area, yet no finishing touch was applied.

Four minutes later and the away forward was played through by Luca Allinson, but Andrew Camilo-Tayaca slide in well to thwart the danger and keep it goalless in E10.

Biggleswade continued to push and a mistake by Toby Stevenson saw Beevor get in once more, but Janata impressively sprung off his line and claimed the ball at the feet of the striker.

It had been a poor start by Webb’s Orient, but with 20 played they made the breakthrough and a familiar face was on the scoresheet again.

Charles Clayden showed good pace on the left and crossed into the area where Dalby was on hand to tap in from close range after a Biggleswade defender failed to clear.

It would have been all square again though moments later had home captain Teddy Perkins not denied Robbie Buchanan with a fine block.

And that piece of defending would prove crucial with O’s doubling their advantage minutes later.

Before that second goal, Ruel Sotiriou had turned his marker near the halfway line and embarked on a fine run, beating several players in the process, yet seeing his shot blocked.

Sotiriou was in the mood now and another dribble seconds later did result in Orient doubling their tally.

The talented forward beat a few more opponents and although a Biggleswade defender stopped him in his tracks, Kyprianou was on hand to curl home the loose ball and beat Tyler Mitchell.

Webb’s team looked full of confidence now and the visitors were struggling to cope with their movement.

It looked only a matter of time before O’s added another and it occurred in the 43rd minute at a chilly Brisbane Road.

Sotiriou ran at the Biggleswade back four after latching onto Dalby’s header before squaring to Lopes, who cut inside and fired low and hard into the corner.

The half time whistle followed moments later and despite a tough start, Orient came in three goals ahead at the break.

A two-minute delay occurred early in the second half when Sotiriou was snapped down by Sam Paton.

Webb and Peter Gill were furious on the touchline, but surprisingly the referee let play carry on.

The two sets of players clashed seconds later allowing O’s to get a physio on to treat their forward.

Fortunately Sotiriou was able to continue, although the Orient fans present inside the stadium let Biggleswade’s manager know exactly what they thought of the tackle.

With Webb’s team three goals ahead, they were happy to let the Waders dictate possession at the beginning of the second half.

O’s were still looking a threat whenever they brought the ball forward and in the 67th minute they made it 4-0.

Clayden first of all delivered a dangerous ball into the area which nearly picked out Kyprianou, but Biggleswade managed to clear.

The ball only went as far as Dalby, who worked a yard of space around 12-yards-out and fired through the legs of Mitchell.

Dalby should have claimed his hat-trick seconds later when Sotiriou cut back for his strike partner, but Dalby’s effort was too central and the Waders goalkeeper saved well.

Mitchell was beaten again in the 69th minute, though, as Clayden, this time on the right, found Lopes and his shot was too powerful for the Waders goalkeeper to hold.

Webb denied Dalby his hat-trick, however, when he brought the forward off with 16 to play.

Sotiriou also came off with Mason Hall and Jaedon Phillips coming on, the former making his first appearance of the season.

Clayden was on the end of a needless kick 13 minutes from time by Waders skipper Paton, but again no yellow was awarded.

Orient then nearly made it six when Ernold Haxhiu showed good footwork before playing in Kyprianou, but he poked wide.

Another sub occurred soon after as Luca Carter-Henry was introduced in the 81st minute with the assured Kyprianou making way.

The dangerous Clayden, who had been a threat all night, nearly got his name on the scoresheet in the 86th minute, yet his cross-cum-shot was saved by Mitchell.

It was the last meaningful action of the evening as Orient showed their class again with an assured display.

Both sets of players received applause when they left the field with several parents among the 237 spectators.

Webb’s O’s will host Sholing in the second round with the tie to be played at some point this month.

After reaching the third round last season, Orient will be determined to at least equal that record.

Leyton Orient: Janata; Camilo-Tayaca, Perkins, Stevenson, Fleming; Lopes, Haxhiu, Kyprianou (Carter-Henry 81), Clayden; Dalby (Hall 74), Sotiriou (Phillips 74).

Unused substitutes: Amedu, Shabani.

Biggleswade Town: Mitchell; McMahon, Banks, Paton, Watson; Alexandrou (Fitter 73), Garibovic (Kateley 46); Buchanan (Fraser 66), Gibson, Allinson; Beevor.

Unused substitutes: Sinfield, Mills.

Attendance: 237.

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 21:45

National League: Chester 0 Leyton Orient 1

Yesterday, 16:39

West Ham have until February 27 to respond to charge

Yesterday, 16:30

Will Justin Edinburgh rotate his starting XI ahead of Saturday’s FA Trophy quarter-final with Gateshead?

Yesterday, 14:30

O’s fans have the chance to purchase a slot to play with three former players and readers of the East London Advertiser can get a special discount

Yesterday, 12:00

The Coasters boss expressed his disappointment after Saturday’s home loss in the National League

Yesterday, 10:00

A round-up of the latest matches involing Wapping Hockey Club teams

Mon, 17:00

London Raiders goalie Michael Gray praised their opponents Basingstoke Bison but believes they should have got something from the match.

Mon, 16:02

Experienced duo, who have played a key part since Justin Edinburgh took over, have been handed new deals at O’s

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists


Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now