Hat-trick hero Macauley Bonne inspires more Leyton Orient success, as Guiseley are comfortably beaten at Brisbane Road

PUBLISHED: 16:58 02 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:58 02 September 2017

Macauley Bonne (right) celebrates scoring for Leyton Orient with David Mooney and Jake Caprice (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

Macauley Bonne (right) celebrates scoring for Leyton Orient with David Mooney and Jake Caprice (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

National League: Leyton Orient 4 Guiseley 1

Macauley Bonne scored his first hat-trick for Leyton Orient to put Guiseley to the sword at a sun soaked Brisbane Road.

The 23-year-old fired home two first-half penalties before completing his treble with a smart late one-on-one finish.

It capped a brilliant day for Steve Davis and his team, as they made it four games without a defeat in the National League to move up to second in the table.

Orient were without Alex Lawless and Charlie Lee for the visit of struggling Guiseley with both absent through injury.

Lawless was unavailable due to a hip flexor injury, while Lee has suffered a serious knee issue in training last month.

The absence of Davis’ previous first-choice centre midfield duo presented a chance to youngster Henry Ochieng.

Ochieng partnered Craig Clay in the middle of the pitch with David Mooney and Jobi McAnuff earning recalls from the Maidenhead United victory.

Josh Koroma dropped to the bench as a result, while Rommy Boco wasn’t involved in the match day squad, which saw Myles Judd among the substitutes for the first time this season.

New signing Matt Harrold was also listed as one of the replacements following his move on transfer deadline day.

Guiseley included a number of players with Football League experience in their starting XI, although were managerless.

Adam Lockwood was sacked at the beginning of the week, so captain Danny Lowe helped pick the side along with various other respectable figures at the club.

The visitors got play underway in east London with the sun shining and plenty of people packed into Brisbane Road.

Orient started at a frantic pace and should have been one up after six minutes when McAnuff was played through.

Clay’s perfectly waited pass broke the offside trap and O’s experienced winger choose to shoot, instead of laying in Bonne for a tap-in, but saw Joseph Green save well.

Four minutes later and Davis’ team continued to press and produced another chance after some stunning football.

Orient moved the ball around well and Ochieng chipped into James Dayton’s path and he teed up Clay, but his shot was blocked.

It was one-way traffic at this point, but a poor header by Josh Coulson gave Guiseley an opportunity in the 13th minute.

Will Hatfield got in as a result, though stumbled at the crucial moment and Charlie Grainger’s goal was able to remain intact.

The hosts were still dominate and were wondering how they weren’t ahead with 16 minutes on the clock.

Guiseley mucked around with the ball in their penalty area and Bonne intercepted a pass by goalkeeper Green and the ball deflected towards the visitors’ goal.

The Orient forward looked odds-on to tap into the empty net, but appeared to be held back by the away custodian and yet referee Gary Parsons failed to award a penalty and the ball rolled wide.

It was another let-off for managerless Guiseley, but they slowly started to settle after Bonne’s chance.

A stoppage in play occurred just before the half an hour mark when Hatfield needed to receive some treatment and it allowed the Yorkshire club some respite.

The forward was able to resume minutes later and the pattern of the match continued with O’s trying to break down.

But with every attack Guiseley broke down, their confidence grew and slowly they began to create chances of their own.

When George Elokobi wastefully gave the ball away in the 32nd minute, Lee Molyneux looked up and forced Grainger into a diving save.

It was the beginning of a sustained period of pressure from the Lions, as they won a corner moments later.

Former Morecambe winger Molyneux whipped in the set-piece and Grainger initially came before retreating and fortunately for him, the ball eluded everyone in the area.

Orient should have heeded that warning, but didn’t and in the 36th minute they fell behind at Brisbane Road.

Molyneux used the ball well in the centre of the pitch and played out to ex-Southend United winger Kevan Hurst on the right.

Hurst fizzed in a dangerous cross behind the O’s back line and Kayode Odejayi fired in to score Guiseley’s first away goal of the campaign.

It was a shock to the system for the east Londoners, but to their credit they responded in fine fashion.

First Coulson tested Green with a volley after Mooney had flicked on a hopeful Ochieng pass.

And then came a dramatic conclusion to the first-half with referee Parsons at the centre of the action.

McAnuff played Mooney in down the left with 42 minutes on the clock and the club captain fizzed a cross towards the back post.

Guiseley defender Alex Purver blocked the centre with what seemed his arm and Parsons pointed to the spot despite the protests from the away side.

Bonne stepped up this time, after Mooney missed the last penalty at Brisbane Road, and the ex-Colchester United striker sent Green the wrong way to level the scores.

There was a big sigh of relief in E10 and just as three minutes of additional time were added on, O’s won another spot-kick.

Mooney was again involved and controlled the ball before Alex Purver needlessly pushed him over and Parson again awarded a penalty.

Bonne grabbed the ball for a second time and as cool as you fired into the left corner for his and Orient’s second.

The half time whistle soon followed to bring an action-packed first 45 to an end in east London.

After finishing the first period strongly, Davis would have hoped to see his side begin equally as dominate after the restart.

It proved to be the case as well, although Orient’s next real chance didn’t occur until the 58th minute when Coulson headed Dayton’s cross wide.

Davis made a change five minutes later, as Harold came on for his debut with Mooney making way.

Orient fans were able to get a first glance of the new signing in an O’s shirt and they didn’t need long to see him celebrating.

McAnuff’s impact was growing and he played in Joe Widdowson down the left, who crossed in for Harrold to power past Green from close range in the 65th minute.

The O’s had their third goal and some breathing space and their new striker had got off the mark in rapid time.

Elokobi nearly got a fourth two minutes later, but he was denied by Guiseley’s goalkeeper from close range.

Davis made another change as the seconds ticked away at Brisbane Road with Jamie Sendles-White coming on for his debut.

Ochieng was the man to make way with 10 minutes to go and he left the pitch to a standing ovation.

The O’s supporters were on their feet again soon after, as the excellent Bonne grabbed the match ball.

A long ball was pumped forward and flicked on by Harrold, which saw Bonne control and race past the last defender.

After facing up to the goalkeeper, the Orient striker tapped past Green and raced off to celebrate in front of the South Stand.

It capped a brilliant day for the ex-Colchester ace and Davis gave him the chance to lap it up some more by bringing him off in the 84th minute.

Bonne left the pitch to a standing ovation and was replaced by Koroma, the last man to net a hat-trick for O’s – at Newport County in March.

Orient pushed for more goals as the minutes ticked away at Brisbane Road, but had to settle for four in the end.

Nevertheless, it represented another excellent day at the office for Davis and his new-look team.

Bonne stole the headlines, yet there were a number of excellent performances, as O’s earned another win at Brisbane Road.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Coulson, Elokobi, Widdowson; McAnuff, Ochieng (Sendles-White 80), Clay, Dayton; Mooney (Harrold 63), Bonne (Koroma 84).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Judd.

Guiseley: Green; East, Palmer, Lowe, Williams; Rooney (Thompson 68); Hurst, Molyneux; Purver; Hatfield, Odejayi (Mulhern 65).

Unused substitutes: Brown, Lawlor, Atkinson.

Attendance: 4,323 (76 Guiseley supporters).

Latest East London Sports News

Yesterday, 16:24

Essex County Cricket Club have announced that Sam Cook has signed a two-year contract extension that will see him remain on their playing staff until the conclusion of the 2020 season.

Yesterday, 16:00

Maikel De Quadros, manager of the Bethnal Green-based club, hailed the potential of his team

Yesterday, 14:00

The latest boxing news from Tower Hamlets

Yesterday, 13:00

West Ham United will want to build on their first win in the Premier League when they host Chelsea at the London Stadium on Sunday.

Yesterday, 11:00

Former Arena-Essex Hammers promoter Peter Thorogood admitted it is heartbreaking to see the Raceway where he spent many years close down, writes Jacob Ranson.

Yesterday, 10:00

Tower Hamlets manager AJ Ashanike says he knew his new-look side would take time to gel as they still desperately search for their first win in the Essex Senior League.

Yesterday, 09:00

Justin Edinburgh’s team visit Harrogate Town this weekend eager to leave with a positive result


Are you a landlord looking for a fixed rental income, paid whether the property is empty or not? Steve Westley, general manager at estate agents Elliot Leigh, explains their Guaranteed Rent Scheme and how it takes the stress out of letting your property.

Newsletter Sign Up

East London Advertiser twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now