Luxury clothing brand Hawes and Curtis opening store in Aldgate
- Credit: Hawes & Curtis
A luxury fashion brand that has served royalty and Hollywood stars for more than a century is opening in Aldgate.
Hawes and Curtis is setting up a branch in Fenchurch Street with its autumn collection on August 24.
The 3,600sq ft outlet is the second largest in the company’s chain of 15 branches after the flagship store in Jermyn Street, off Piccadilly Circus.
The former TM Lewin Fenchurch Street tailors' premises has been taken over and redesigned to target the City and upcoming east London markets.
Their most famous customer was Edward, Prince of Wales who placed his first order in 1922.
You may also want to watch:
He later became King Edward VIII until his abdication in 1936 and granted the company its first royal warrant.
Other top clients included Lord Mountbatten and Hollywood elite such as Fred Astaire, Clark Gable, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. The store opened in the Piccadilly Arcade in 1913.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 4 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 10 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency