100-year-old woman stabbed to death in her Shadwell home
A MURDER investigation has been launched after a 100-year-old woman was found stabbed to death in her home. Relatives of the woman, who celebrated her 100th birthday with a party at her home late last year and who has been named locally as Hannah Fitzgibb
A MURDER investigation has been launched after a 100-year-old woman was found stabbed to death in her home.
Relatives of the woman, who celebrated her 100th birthday with a party at her home late last year and who has been named locally as Hannah Fitzgibbon, gathered outside the terraced bungalow in Hainton Close, Shadwell yesterday (Wednesday) to say a prayer for their loved-one.
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the house at 9.45am yesterday and found the Mrs Fitzgibbon's body.
She had died from a single stab wound to the neck and was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 61-year-old man, believed to be the Mrs Fitzgibbon's son, was arrested at the scene and was in police custody as the Advertiser went to press.
One elderly neighbour said she had seen a man being led away in handcuffs by police yesterday morning.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
Neighbours in the street off Commercial Road said they rarely saw the woman but that her son was often seen going in and out of the house.
Another resident, Susan Lowe, 54, said: "I never really saw her but she had a big party for her 100th birthday last year.
"There were balloons up all over the house and it looked like she had a big crowd of people there.
"It's absolutely awful to think that this has happened to her. You should be celebrating at that time of life; it's terrible."
Family members were visibly shaking as they wept while a priest led them in prayer outside the home the woman had shared with her son for years.