11th hour London flood alert: Thames Barrier remains open
THE Thames Barrier is remaining open tonight after an earlier flood alert for London. The Environment Agency cancelled its operation literally at the 11th hour—at 11pm—and decided there is no flood danger
THE Thames Barrier is remaining open tonight after an earlier flood alert for London.
It was planned to be closed from 11.30pm this-evening (Friday) to prevent flooding in London due to a tidal surge in the estuary.
Strong northerly winds down the east coast in the North Sea caused by a low-pressure weather system had combined with the normal high spring tides to create a surge.
But the Environment Agency cancelled its operation literally at the 11th hour—at 11pm—and decided there is no flood danger.
You may also want to watch:
Tidal experts have determined the surge to have subsided below a level that would pose any risk to London, the Agency said a short time ago. This means the barrier will remain open and there will be no disruption to river traffic overnight.
“Staff monitored the tidal surge and prepared for a barrier closure,” explained Thames tidal flood risk manager Andrew Batchelor. “But during this evening they noted a reduction in the surge that meant closure was no longer required and the barrier would remain open.”
But there was also a flood watch in force this-evening further upriver from Putney Bridge to Teddington Weir, the Environment Agency confirmed. No property is expected to be flooded, however.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient