�1m church appeal to restore Hawksmoor’s 1735 Spitalfields organ
ENTHUSIASTS are trying to raise �1 million to restore a church organ nearly three centuries old in one of London’s historic Hawkesmoor churches. Friends of Christchurch have set about the “colossal job” of raising the cash to restore the organ at Spitalfields built in 1735
ENTHUSIASTS are trying to raise �1 million to restore a church organ nearly three centuries old in one of London's historic Hawkesmoor churches.
The organ at Spitalfields Church behind Liverpool Street station was the largest in the country when the massive structure was completed in 1735.
It fell silent when the church was closed to the public in the 1950s because of its dangerous structure.
Now Friends of Christchurch have set about the "colossal job" of raising the cash to restore it.
You may also want to watch:
"First it involves restoring magnificent organ casing," Friends director Carolyn Fuest explained.
"It's a beautiful and rare piece of 18th century furniture, the size of a silk weaver's house in the neighbourood.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
"There is enough evidence to reconstruct the organ to the original 1735 plan with confidence."
But many of the 2,000 pipes now safely in storage with restoration experts in the West Country need to be reconstructed and all of them carefully restored. The bellows and pedal board also have to be rebuilt from scratch, while there is much intricate and decorative work to be undertaken such as gilding of pipes and re-crafting the 270-year-old keyboard
Half the �1m has already been pledged from around the world. But Friends of Christ Church need to raise the rest and are appealing for online contributions or for donations by post to Friends of Christ Church, Fornier Street, Spitalfields, London E1 6QE.