200 people have sleep-in in Old Spitalfields Market
With its lively stalls, Old Spitalfields Market is not an obvious spot for a good sleep but more than 200 people spent the night there to raise cash for the Big Issue.
As volunteers snuggled up in their sleeping bags, entertainers and speakers provided food for thought on homelessness and its causes.
The event, on Friday, was in celebration of the Big Issue’s 20th anniversary.
Jay Hunt, who works for the organisation, said: “The idea was to have a fun night celebrating the achievements of the Big Issue vendors.”
Vendors spoke about their experiences on the streets and how they were making steps in their lives.
You may also want to watch:
Short films and stand-up comedy were also on the bill.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Disgraceful management of the pandemic