200 people have sleep-in in Old Spitalfields Market
With its lively stalls, Old Spitalfields Market is not an obvious spot for a good sleep but more than 200 people spent the night there to raise cash for the Big Issue.
As volunteers snuggled up in their sleeping bags, entertainers and speakers provided food for thought on homelessness and its causes.
The event, on Friday, was in celebration of the Big Issue’s 20th anniversary.
Jay Hunt, who works for the organisation, said: “The idea was to have a fun night celebrating the achievements of the Big Issue vendors.”
Vendors spoke about their experiences on the streets and how they were making steps in their lives.
You may also want to watch:
Short films and stand-up comedy were also on the bill.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 8 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 9 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72