200 people have sleep-in in Old Spitalfields Market
With its lively stalls, Old Spitalfields Market is not an obvious spot for a good sleep but more than 200 people spent the night there to raise cash for the Big Issue.
As volunteers snuggled up in their sleeping bags, entertainers and speakers provided food for thought on homelessness and its causes.
The event, on Friday, was in celebration of the Big Issue’s 20th anniversary.
Jay Hunt, who works for the organisation, said: “The idea was to have a fun night celebrating the achievements of the Big Issue vendors.”
Vendors spoke about their experiences on the streets and how they were making steps in their lives.
You may also want to watch:
Short films and stand-up comedy were also on the bill.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 9 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August