2012 volunteers fish out bikes and shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut. Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering prog
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut.
Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering programme.
Experts from green charity Thames 21 provided equipment including grappling irons to fish rubbish out of the water.
The charity's Aimee Felus said: "The haul included two children's bikes, three mountain bikes, five shopping trolleys, three traffic cones, a camp bed frame, three clothes drying stands, a doll's buggy , one scooter, an old Mac computer, two plastic chairs, a builder's helmet, a TV stand, one wheelbarrow, a plastic crate and a motorbike!"
You may also want to watch:
During two hours volunteers also removed and painted over graffiti, cut back over hanging vegetation and removed seven bags full of litter.
There will be another clean up this time at the waterways and tow paths at Three Mills Island, Bromley by Bow on Saturday October 24 and another event on Sunday November 15.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
Volunteers should register on http://www.london2012.com/get-involved/volunteering/changing-places-projects.php