2012 volunteers fish out bikes and shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut. Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering prog
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut.
Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering programme.
Experts from green charity Thames 21 provided equipment including grappling irons to fish rubbish out of the water.
The charity's Aimee Felus said: "The haul included two children's bikes, three mountain bikes, five shopping trolleys, three traffic cones, a camp bed frame, three clothes drying stands, a doll's buggy , one scooter, an old Mac computer, two plastic chairs, a builder's helmet, a TV stand, one wheelbarrow, a plastic crate and a motorbike!"
You may also want to watch:
During two hours volunteers also removed and painted over graffiti, cut back over hanging vegetation and removed seven bags full of litter.
There will be another clean up this time at the waterways and tow paths at Three Mills Island, Bromley by Bow on Saturday October 24 and another event on Sunday November 15.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
Volunteers should register on http://www.london2012.com/get-involved/volunteering/changing-places-projects.php