2012 volunteers fish out bikes and shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut. Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering prog
GROT busters fished out a motorbike, five bikes and five shopping trolleys from Limehouse Cut.
Fifteen volunteers rolled up their sleeves to clear up rubbish which had been dumped in the canal as part of the London 2012 Changing Places volunteering programme.
Experts from green charity Thames 21 provided equipment including grappling irons to fish rubbish out of the water.
The charity's Aimee Felus said: "The haul included two children's bikes, three mountain bikes, five shopping trolleys, three traffic cones, a camp bed frame, three clothes drying stands, a doll's buggy , one scooter, an old Mac computer, two plastic chairs, a builder's helmet, a TV stand, one wheelbarrow, a plastic crate and a motorbike!"
During two hours volunteers also removed and painted over graffiti, cut back over hanging vegetation and removed seven bags full of litter.
There will be another clean up this time at the waterways and tow paths at Three Mills Island, Bromley by Bow on Saturday October 24 and another event on Sunday November 15.
- 1 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 2 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 3 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 4 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 5 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 6 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 7 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 8 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 9 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 10 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
Volunteers should register on http://www.london2012.com/get-involved/volunteering/changing-places-projects.php