An east London nightclub has been given the all-clear to remain open after a fatal stabbing nearby, but with a series of fresh conditions attached. 

Trei Daley, 26, from Bromley, had attended an event at Colour Factory, in Queen’s Yard, Hackney Wick, before he and another man, aged 24, were stabbed early on February 11. 

The two took themselves to an east London hospital, where Trei died of his injuries. The other man was discharged that same day. 

In early March, the Local Democracy Reporting Service reported that Colour Factory was to have its licence reviewed by Tower Hamlets Council following the fatal stabbing

The Met Police had submitted a licence review for the club following concerns about its “current conditions and practices”. 

According to an investigation conducted by the Met, “some of the customers going into Colour Factory have not been searched on entry or had to produce ID”. 

The force added: “Failing to search customers or allowing them into the venue with ID runs the very serious risk of allowing weapons and drugs into a place where they can be used, with very serious consequences.” 

An interim hearing was held on February 22, and the council’s licensing sub-committee decided to add conditions that had been agreed upon between the police and the licence holder ahead of the full review hearing. 

These included the re-training of security staff on searching customers and their bags prior to the reopening of Colour Factory, and putting in an ID scanner, which must be used to scan photographic identification documents. 

Police also requested all front-of-house staff must complete welfare and vulnerability awareness training every six months. 

East London Advertiser: A police cordon was in-place following the stabbing in Hackney WickA police cordon was in-place following the stabbing in Hackney Wick (Image: Ben Lynch)

At a licensing sub-committee meeting on March 14, the council decided to grant further conditions, and heard from the Met Police and a representative on behalf of Nathanael Williams, the designated premises holder and owner of Colour Factory. 

Mr Williams’ disappointment that “the tragedy had been associated with the venue” was expressed by his representative, who said the conditions agreed with the police since February’s hearing meant the venue had “tightened up” its policies and had shown police their training and searching procedures to make sure officers were satisfied with the steps taken. 

A council report on the meeting said: “Since the interim steps hearing there had been discussions between the licence holder and the police, which had resulted in a further set of agreed conditions which the sub-committee understood to replicate the conditions imposed as an interim step, subject to some minor amendments.” 

The report added: “The premises had re-opened safely since the 
incident, without any cause for concern, and in those circumstances the sub-committee considered that imposing the agreed conditions was the appropriate measure to take in the particular circumstances.” 

A statement on behalf of Colour Factory said: “The company reiterates its regret and apology to all parties for the tragic incident which occurred outside this premises. 

“Colour Factory has never had any formal enforcement action imposed against the premises during its operation under the company, and is extremely confident it can continue to operate with minimal authority intervention. 

“The company is determined to continue to operate a safe and welcoming premises to all through the provision of a fresh package of conditions to ensure the smooth running of the premises moving forwards. 

“It is submitted that the conditions proposed, which have been agreed with the police, will enable the premises to be a shining example of an exceptionally well-run events space and allow the premises to promote the licensing objectives.” 

Several arrests were made by police following the incident in February. 

For the latest crime news in east London, join our East London Crime Watch group on Facebook.

Christopher Appiah-Blay, 35, of Wick Road, Hackney, was charged with murder and possession of an offensive weapon and Mawien Mawien, 38, of Portland Close, Chadwell Heath, was charged with murder, wounding of another man and possession of a bladed article

A trial has been set for April 2, 2024, at the Old Bailey. A third man, aged 20, was arrested on February 18 on suspicion of murder, and has been bailed to a later date in May.