A fire in Tower Hamlets, believed to have been caused by a halogen lamp, has damaged a home.

London Fire Brigade took 11 calls to the blaze around 9.05pm yesterday (Thursday, March 30).

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were sent to the maisonette fire in Ben Jonson Road in Stepney.

MOST READ: Teenage boy arrested after alleged school attack

MOST READ: WANTED - Convicted burglar who was released from prison 'in error'

Part of the first-floor bedroom of a split-level maisonette was damaged by the fire.

According to the brigade, there were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a halogen lamp.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Lightbulbs can get incredibly hot and can set fire to combustible materials.

"It's important to keep them away from anything that might catch fire such as books, clothing, sheets and curtains.

"Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.

"The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for.

"It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire."

The fire was attended by crews from Shadwell, Whitechapel, Poplar and Millwall fire stations and was under control by 9.26pm.