A blaze at a student accommodation block, believed to be caused by a vacuum cleaner, has left the building damaged.

London Fire Brigade was called at 1.31am today (June 2) to the fire in Witan Street, Bethnal Green.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled the incident and it was under control at 2.22am.

READ MORE: Teen extremist who planned London attack given life sentence after mum reported him

A small part of a flat on the sixth floor of the building was damaged by the fire.

READ MORE: Police defend eviction attended by riot officers after criticism

One woman left the property before the brigade arrived and there were no injuries reported.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and involved a handheld vacuum cleaner.

Crews from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel, Shadwell and Shoreditch fire stations attended the scene.