A blaze in a Whitechapel hostel was accidentally caused by a candle, London Fire Brigade said.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire in a hostel on Old Montague Street at 2pm on July 29. 

A flat on the second floor, in a building of five floors, was partly damaged by fire.

Two men were treated on scene for smoke inhalation by the London Ambulance Service and there are no reports of any other injuries, LFB added. 

The fire was under control by 2.55pm and is believed to have been accidental, caused by a candle.

The fire brigade is urging people to keep candles and tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.

They suggest keep loose clothing and hair away from candles and tea lights when they are lit and to always place them in a suitable fire resistant candleholder on a stable surface. 

Crews from Whitechapel, Shoreditch and Bethnal Green fire stations attended the scene.