London Fire Brigade has issued a stark safety warning after a flat fire in Bethnal Green.

Firefighters received reports of a fire on Bethnal Green Road at 10.21pm on October 18, and had the blaze under control at approximately 10.58pm.

The service was out in force, dispatching three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Dockhead, Islington and Homerton fire stations.

A spokesperson for the brigade confirmed a flat was partly damaged by the fire. 

There have been no reported injuries from the incident, with one man leaving the property before the crews arrived, and a second being helped to safety from the basement by the responders. 

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by cooking.

A brigade spokesperson said: "Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

"This incident is a timely reminder to make sure you never leave cooking unattended. If you do have to leave the room, turn off the heat."

Preventing cooking fires:

  • Avoid leaving cooking unattended

  • Do not cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or have been taking medication that might cause drowsiness

  • Do not lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob

  • Keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a build up of fat/grease that could ignite and cause a fire

  • Double check appliances have been turned off after you have finished cooking

  • Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times, and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach