Two Tower Hamlets landlords have pleaded guilty to nine housing offences after a fatal flat fire sparked an investigation.

Sofina Begum, 50, and Aminur Rahman, 53, from Solander Gardens, Shadwell, were landlords and owners of the fourth floor flat in Maddocks House, Shadwell where the blaze took place in March.

Mizanur Rahman, 41, died after a faulty lithium-ion e-bike battery set alight whilst charging.

The pair pleaded guilty to nine offences at Thames Magistrates Court on November 28 after an investigation by Tower Hamlets Council.

The e-bike was owned by another occupant of the flat and had been heavily modified to include a retro-fitted additional battery cage and motor.

A coroner ruled that Mizanur’s death was caused by smoke inhalation.

The council's investigation discovered that Begum and Aminur Rahman had rented their two-bedroom flat to as many as 22 people.

Raj Mistry, interim corporate director of communities at the council, said: “Our thoughts and prayers are again with Mizanur Rahman’s family and friends. His tragic death and the appalling overcrowded conditions where he lived shocked us all.

He said the case "sends the message that we will not tolerate landlords who risk the lives of our residents in our borough".

"We will act against landlords like Sofina Begum and Aminur Rahman, who put money over the safety and welfare of their tenants," Mr Mistry added.

Begum pleaded guilty to six charges, including allowing the premises to be overcrowded, failures to comply with license conditions, carry out inspections and have a valid gas safety certificate, and failure to provide the council with requested documentation.

Aminur Rahman pleaded guilty to three charges – allowing the premises to be overcrowded, failure to comply with license conditions and for failing to provide the council with requested documentation.

The case has been sent to Snaresbrook Crown Court where the next hearing for the husband and wife is due on January 3, 2024.