Three men have been found guilty of murder after a man was shot dead on his doorstep in Whitechapel.

Iron Miah, 40, was attacked on November 19, 2019, in Nelson Street and died in hospital two days later from a catastrophic brain injury.

Three men have now been convicted of his murder after a trial that culminated at the Old Bailey on Tuesday (January 9).

In the days leading up to his murder, Iron’s family described how he had been receiving a series of messages on his phone that were “making him anxious”.

On the night he was attacked, the 40-year-old had just returned home at around 10pm when he received a call from one of the defendants – Mohamed Moshaer Ali, 31, of Western Avenue, Dagenham.

After the call, Iron went outside and got into a Honda Civic in Nelson Street to speak to the occupants.

Upon leaving the Honda he sent a message to Ali that said: “Viewing done”.

As he walked back home, a man got out of the passenger door of a parked Volkswagen Polo and approached Iron from behind.

The gunman fired a single shot and the bullet struck the 40-year-old in the head.

The gunman returned to the car and drove off followed by the Honda Civic that Iron had visited.

Police believe that the other two defendants – Antonio Afflick-McLeod, 32, of Mayfair Avenue, Ilford; and Aaron Campbell, 32 of Star Road, Fulham – were the men in the Polo.

Ali, Campbell and Afflick-McLeod will all be sentenced for Iron’s murder next Tuesday (January 16).

East London Advertiser: From left to right: Aaron Campbell, Antonio Afflick-McLeod and Mohamed Moshaer AliFrom left to right: Aaron Campbell, Antonio Afflick-McLeod and Mohamed Moshaer Ali (Image: Metropolitan Police)

In total, five people were charged during the police investigation, and it took three trials to secure convictions.

A trial carried out in 2022 collapsed after Ali encouraged a prison officer at HMP Belmarsh where he was being held to lie to police in order to implicate one of his co-defendants.

The prison guard – Wiktoria Bujko, 30, of Marlborough Road, Woolwich – ultimately pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice.

Ali had previously made a number of calls to police providing false intelligence in the immediate aftermath of Iron’s killing.

Police said key evidence in the case stemmed from cell site data after officers discovered burner phones used by the killers to communicate with each other.

Detective Chief Inspector David Whellams said: “This was a deliberate and callous act of violence in a residential area.

“Nobody deserves to be the victim of such brutality and the three people convicted today will undoubtedly spend a significant time in jail. Our streets are safer without these people at large.

“I would like to pay tribute to Iron’s family, who have been extremely supportive of the investigation in the face of a long road to justice, while living with the trauma of losing their loved one.”