A boy has died and four others were injured after a tragic incident in Hainault which has seen a man arrested on suspicion of murder.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police were called to Thurlow Gardens just before 7am on Tuesday (April 30), a short distance from Hainault underground station. 

East London Advertiser: A huge police presence remains in the area. A huge police presence remains in the area. (Image: Peter Kingdom)The initial reports they received were that a vehicle was driven into a house in the street and that people had been stabbed. 

East London Advertiser: Police standing by a cordonPolice standing by a cordon (Image: Riddhi Kachhela)

Crews from the London Ambulance Service arrived to the scene to administer aid to those injured before taking them to hospital. 

They were supported by London's Air Ambulance, a charity dispatched to help London's most seriously injured patients. 

The London Fire Brigade also sent resources from Dagenham, Walthamstow, Ilford, Romford, Hainault, East Ham and surrounding stations to the scene. 

East London Advertiser: A teenage boy has died at 14-years-oldA teenage boy has died at 14-years-old (Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

A total of six people were taken to hospital, including a 36-year-old man seen carrying a sword who was arrested on suspicion of murder.

One of the victims, a 14-year-old boy, was stabbed and died in hospital. 

Two Metropolitan Police officers were also stabbed and needed surgery for their injuries.

Their condition and two other members of the public injured are not thought to be life-threatening.

Ch Supt Stuart Bell addressed the media in a live statement, confirming the condition of the victims involved. 

East London Advertiser: Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell at the live broadcast announcementChief Superintendent Stuart Bell at the live broadcast announcement (Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)He said: "It is with great sadness that I confirm that one of those injured in the incident, a 14-year-old boy, has died from their injuries.

"He was taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died a short while after.

"The events of this morning are truly horrific and I cannot begin to imagine how all those affected must be feeling.

"My thoughts are with the injured, their families and the wider community as we all begin to come to terms with what has happened."

East London Advertiser: A 36-year-old man has been arrestedA 36-year-old man has been arrested (Image: @ell_pht (X))Police confirmed that they tasered the 36-year-old man before arresting him. 

East London Advertiser: Police are not searching for anyone else in connection with the attackPolice are not searching for anyone else in connection with the attack (Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire) Ch Supt Bell said police do not believe the attack to be terror-related and that they are not searching for anyone else in connection with it. 

RELATED: LIVE as boy, 14, dies with four injured after 'critical' Hainault sword attack

Mohammed and Ayesha Khan, who have lived in New North Road for almost ten years, told this paper they've never seen anything like it in the area.

Ayesha said: "I've got a young child as well and she was really panicked and saying 'mummy, what's going on?' I had to take her inside because she was really scared.

East London Advertiser: Mohammed and Ayesha KhanMohammed and Ayesha Khan (Image: Riddhi Kachhela)

"Nothing like this ever happens in this area. It's really safe, there's lots of young families in the area."

Mohammed added: "It's very worrying and we're very scared. We are quite shocked by what's happened. 

"When we woke up we saw all these vans and all these police cars, and two big fire trucks and we didn't know what to make of it. We still don't know what to make of it."

Max Burney, who lives close to the incident, said: "I've got a wife and kids and something like this is dangerous. It's hard for us because we'd like to walk around our own streets and know that we are safe."

According to Transport for London, Hainault underground station in New North Road has been closed since around 7am as a result. 

East London Advertiser: Emergency services swarmed to support those at the sceneEmergency services swarmed to support those at the scene (Image: Peter Kingdom)Images taken from the scene show queueing traffic and police vehicles blocking off access to surrounding side roads and to the station. 

New North Road has been shut in both directions, with multiple cordons in place. 

An alleyway connecting Link Place to New North Road has also been taped off. 

East London Advertiser: An alley way has also been taped off as part of the crime sceneAn alley way has also been taped off as part of the crime scene (Image: Riddhi Kachhela)The 150 and 247 bus services are running to an amended service due to necessary detours whilst investigations are carried out at the scene. 

It is currently unclear when the station and road will reopen. 

Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, responded to the incident on X. 

He wrote: "I am absolutely devastated by the news from Hainault this morning. 

"I remain in constant contact with the commissioner. There will be additional assurance patrols in the area. 

"The police officers and emergency services showed the best of our city - running towards danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of my heart."

East London Advertiser: Max BurneyMax Burney (Image: Riddhi Kachhela)

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has also responded on X. 

He said: "This is a shocking incident. My thoughts are with those affected and their families.

"I'd like to thank the emergency services for their ongoing response, and pay tribute to the extraordinary bravery shown by police on the scene."

East London Advertiser: All roads remain affected All roads remain affected (Image: Peter Kingdom)Forensics teams have been pictured working at the site of the stabbings. 

East London Advertiser: A van has also been taped off within the police cordonA van has also been taped off within the police cordon (Image: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

Redbridge Council issued its own statement in response to the incident, saying that it too was "shocked by the news". 

Ch Supt Bell added: "We are committed to providing those answers when we can and I would ask for patience while this important work is carried out."