4 minute mile’ hero Roger Banister, 80, arrives at Mile End’
SIR Roger Banister, the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes, has been watching youngsters go through their paces for the mile.’ He offered tips to children taking part in a Sport Aid at, appropriately, Lonson’s Mile End
By Kier Mudie
SIR Roger Banister, the first man in the world to run a mile in less than four minutes, has been watching youngsters today (Friday) go through their paces training for the mile’ in London’s East End.
He offered tips to children from Our Lady RC Primary school at Limehouse taking part in a Sport Relief event at, appropriately, Mile End’ stadium.
Sir Roger’s visit to East London was arranged by his granddaughter Hermione Townsend, who is a teacher at the school.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great to have my granddad along,” she told the East London Advertiser. “I enjoyed showing him where I worked.
“The children enjoyed meeting my granddad. We have been doing a lot of work about him in class and even watched film-footage of him completing the four-minute mile all those years ago.”
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 8 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
Sir Roger, now 80, who broke the four-minute barrier’ back in 1954, watched from the trackside at Mile End as 180 children took part in the charity dash.
He saw 30 of them complete a full mile, the youngest just eight years old. No doubt a potential future Roger Banister’ to watch out for!