A102 Blackwall Tunnel closes Easter weekend to southbound traffic
The A102 Blackwall Tunnel is closed to southbound traffic over the Easter weekend as part of the ongoing refurbishment to the ageing northbound carriageway.
Drivers heading south are being diverted along the A13 to the Rotherhithe Tunnel which is operating two lanes southbound only, while the Blackwall Tunnel carries only northbound traffic.
The diversions begin 9pm Thursday, April 21, ending 5am Tuesday, April 26.
Other river crossings suggested include Tower Bridge and London Bridge, or the Dartford Crossing near Tilbury.
The Woolwich Ferry will also be operating a two-boat service on the Easter weekend, from 6.10am to 10pm on Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday, and 9am-9.30pm Easter Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
The refurbishment of the mile-long northbound Blackwall Tunnel, first opened in 1899, is expected to be complete by December—one year ahead of schedule. Work completed so far includes new ventilation fans and lighting, upgraded CCTV and new communication systems.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel