A1202 Leman Street closed as fire crews tackle gas cylinder blaze in van
The busy A1202 Leman Street at Whitechapel in east London has been closed because of the danger of explosion after a transit van carrying a propane gas cylinder caught fire.
Fire crews are at the scene at the moment near the junction with Alie Street.
An ambulance has also arrived for a man overcome by smoke who is being treated at the scene.
Two crews from nearby Whitechapel fire-station are involved and a Fire Brigade aerial ladder has also had to be brought in from Old Kent Road in south London.
A Fire Brigade spokesman told the Docklands & East London Advertiser a few minutes ago: “A temporary safety cordon has been set up as gas cylinders can explode when close to heat. The van is totally ablaze.”
You may also want to watch:
Rush-hour traffic is affected between Aldgate, the City and Tower Hill, drivers are warned.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries