Actors tread boards on site of Shakespeare's Shoreditch theatre
WITHNAIL star Paul McGann took to the stage on the spot where Shakespeare s Romeo and Juliet was premiered as the Museum of London puts some of the treasures they have discovered on show. The actor performed the prologue from the play which he thinks was
WITHNAIL star Paul McGann took to the stage on the spot where Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was premiered as the Museum of London puts some of the treasures they have discovered on show.
The actor performed the prologue from the play which he thinks was first spoken by the playwright himself on the site of Shakespeare's theatre in Shoreditch.
He was joined last night by Susannah Harker to act a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream as Museum of London archaeologists showed off the outline of the 1576 theatre.
Fundraisers from the Tower Theatre Company are halfway to their target of raising �6.9 million to build a 135-seater theatre on the site of Shakespeare's arena on New Inn Broadway.
You may also want to watch:
Building work is due to start in September and tower theatre hopes it might be completed by the summer of 2012.
Details of the dig can be seen at http://www.mymuseumoflondon.org.uk/blogs/blog/category/excavations-at-shakespeare%E2%80%99s-theatre/
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park