Actors tread boards on site of Shakespeare's Shoreditch theatre
WITHNAIL star Paul McGann took to the stage on the spot where Shakespeare s Romeo and Juliet was premiered as the Museum of London puts some of the treasures they have discovered on show. The actor performed the prologue from the play which he thinks was
WITHNAIL star Paul McGann took to the stage on the spot where Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was premiered as the Museum of London puts some of the treasures they have discovered on show.
The actor performed the prologue from the play which he thinks was first spoken by the playwright himself on the site of Shakespeare's theatre in Shoreditch.
He was joined last night by Susannah Harker to act a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream as Museum of London archaeologists showed off the outline of the 1576 theatre.
Fundraisers from the Tower Theatre Company are halfway to their target of raising �6.9 million to build a 135-seater theatre on the site of Shakespeare's arena on New Inn Broadway.
You may also want to watch:
Building work is due to start in September and tower theatre hopes it might be completed by the summer of 2012.
Details of the dig can be seen at http://www.mymuseumoflondon.org.uk/blogs/blog/category/excavations-at-shakespeare%E2%80%99s-theatre/
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road