aid convoy just hours away from Gaza
AN international aid convoy is expected to arrive in Gaza tomorrow. The Viva Palestina convoy of nearly 200 vehicles including ambulances and vans had been stranded in the Jordanian port of Aqaba after campaigners said they were refused permission to sai
AN international aid convoy is expected to arrive in Gaza tomorrow.
The Viva Palestina convoy of nearly 200 vehicles including ambulances and vans had been stranded in the Jordanian port of Aqaba after campaigners said they were refused permission to sail to the port of Nuweiba by the Egyptian authorities.
The group went on hunger strike last week in protest. But the convoy now hopes to reach Gaza tomorrow after its members decided to retrace their route back through Jordan and Syria. The vehicles and cargo were instead loaded on to a ferry in the Syrian port of Latakia last Saturday and have now docked and cleared customs at the Egyptian port of El Arish. Convoy members will fly to El Arish today from Latakia to pick up the vehicles and drive less than one hundred miles to Egypt s Rafah border crossing with Gaza . They hope to reach Gaza tomorrow.
Convoy organiser, of George Galloway's Respect Party, Kevin Ovenden, said: 'Despite all the difficulties, by land, by sea and by air, we are within 24 hours of breaking the siege of Gaza."
You may also want to watch:
The convoy organised by Viva Palestina and the Palestine Solidarity Campaign are taking aid in including specialised medical equipment and will be leaving all its vehicles in Gaza .
It had hoped to enter the Gaza Strip on December 27 to mark the first anniversary of the day Israel began its three-week land, air and sea attack on Gaza.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
The convoy left London at the beginning of December.