Aldgate pub raises £66,000 for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A pub in Aldgate has raised more than £66,000 for a cancer charity in a series of quiz nights, including special quiz for Christmas.
The Duke of Somerset pub in Little Somerset Street has held events over the past eight years, raising £66,400 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
A Christmas quiz and raffle on December 11 helped to raise an additional £1,250 for the charity, which helps people suffering with cancer.
Manager Paul McGilloway said: “Once every few months we offer up part of the pub to two of our regular customers, Mandy Syner and Vince Newman, who together with our former DJ Steve Bell, host a quiz to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
“The pair have been doing this for years and it is an honour to be able to help out by providing a space for them to use.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We look forward to working with them in the new year and increasing the amount of events hosted.”
The Christmas event featured a raffle with a basket of 13 bottles of port, champagne, wine and spirits as one of the prizes.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
The grand prize, donated by Stonegate Pub Company which runs the Duke of Somerset, was an overnight stay at a London hotel and theatre tickets for two.
For more information visit www.stonegatepubs.com.