Alex Lawless signs for Leyton Orient, as Martin Ling continues to build squad
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Former Yeovil Town and Luton Town midfielder agrees two-year deal at Brisbane Road
Leyton Orient have confirmed former Luton Town midfielder Alex Lawless is their fifth signing of the summer.
The 32-year-old has agreed a two-year deal with the National League club and drops down a division to sign for O’s.
Lawless spent last season with Yeovil Town and made 39 appearances for the Glovers and scored once.
Many Yeovil fans expressed their surprise when the central midfielder was not offered a new deal at Huish Park.
But the Glovers loss is Orient’s gain and the ex-Luton ace brings much-needed experience and competition to E10.
You may also want to watch:
Importantly Lawless has played in the National League before and tasted success in the division in 2014.
He played a key role in John Still’s Luton team which won the Conference title during the 2013/14 campaign.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
The midfielder joined Fulham in 2003 from Welsh club Ton Pentre, but has played for a number of clubs since and has a wealth of knowledge.
Torquay United, Forest Green Rovers and York City are among Lawless’ ex-sides and he will look to do well at Brisbane Road.
As things stand, it will be Lawless, Charlie Lee, Henry Ochieng plus Charley Barker and Sam Alderson battling for the midfield spots at Orient.
O’s appointed Steve Davis as head coach yesterday and many more signings are expected over the coming weeks with Director of Football Martin Ling set to be very busy with the National League campaign beginning on August 5.
Orient kick-off the season at Sutton United, but supporters should get a first chance to see their most recent signings and the four other recruits at Harlow Town this weekend.
The pre-season friendly at the Harlow Arena will mark the start of Nigel Travis and Kent Teague’s era as owners and will be the first O’s game with Davis as boss and Ling as Director of Football.