All Guns blazing as boozer named London Pub of the Year’
A HISTORIC East End boozer which was rebuilt after a major fire has been named as London pub of the year by a handbook for pub aficionados. The Gun in Coldharbour on the Isle of Dogs was restored by brothers Tom and Ed Martin after the blaze in 2001 forc
A HISTORIC East End boozer which was rebuilt after a major fire has been named as London pub of the year by a handbook for pub aficionados.
The Gun in Coldharbour on the Isle of Dogs was restored by brothers Tom and Ed Martin after the blaze in 2001 forced its closure for three years.
It is a newcomer to the Good Pub Guide which has named it as the London Pub of the Year in the 2010 edition which comes out today. The Grade II listed building took its name from the cannon which was fired to celebrate the opening of nearby West India Dock in 1802.
Lord Nelson had a house nearby and frequented the pub and had assignations with his lover Lady Hamilton there.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Martin said: "We're absolutely delighted to be named as London pub of the year. That sort of recognition is absolutely fantastic. We spent a fortune doing it up and we have employed some fantastic chefs and really worked hard for the last five years. We have great staff. It's a historic building and it's just a magical place."
The boozer is one of eight pubs owned by the brothers including the Empress of India at Victoria Park and Prince Arthur on London Fields.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 4 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning