All Guns blazing as boozer named London Pub of the Year’
A HISTORIC East End boozer which was rebuilt after a major fire has been named as London pub of the year by a handbook for pub aficionados. The Gun in Coldharbour on the Isle of Dogs was restored by brothers Tom and Ed Martin after the blaze in 2001 forc
A HISTORIC East End boozer which was rebuilt after a major fire has been named as London pub of the year by a handbook for pub aficionados.
The Gun in Coldharbour on the Isle of Dogs was restored by brothers Tom and Ed Martin after the blaze in 2001 forced its closure for three years.
It is a newcomer to the Good Pub Guide which has named it as the London Pub of the Year in the 2010 edition which comes out today. The Grade II listed building took its name from the cannon which was fired to celebrate the opening of nearby West India Dock in 1802.
Lord Nelson had a house nearby and frequented the pub and had assignations with his lover Lady Hamilton there.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Martin said: "We're absolutely delighted to be named as London pub of the year. That sort of recognition is absolutely fantastic. We spent a fortune doing it up and we have employed some fantastic chefs and really worked hard for the last five years. We have great staff. It's a historic building and it's just a magical place."
The boozer is one of eight pubs owned by the brothers including the Empress of India at Victoria Park and Prince Arthur on London Fields.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?