All hands to the pump to sort ballot papers in Tower Hamlets
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets. Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted c
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets.
Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted candidates left the election count.
And the 84 counters have been so desperate to get the final results announced by 10am that the council's Returning Officer Kevan Collins, the Head of Communications and two members of his team have been giving them a helping hand.
Party members were predicting the final result would be announced at 4am this morning but the time keeps on being put back as delays continue to hang over Mile End Leisure Centre.
You may also want to watch:
The police officers due to finish their night shift at 7am are also having to stick around until the final results are announced.
The count for the local elections is due to kick-off in only five hours but more delays are expected throughout the day.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 8 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 9 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend