All hands to the pump to sort ballot papers in Tower Hamlets
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets. Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted c
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets.
Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted candidates left the election count.
And the 84 counters have been so desperate to get the final results announced by 10am that the council's Returning Officer Kevan Collins, the Head of Communications and two members of his team have been giving them a helping hand.
Party members were predicting the final result would be announced at 4am this morning but the time keeps on being put back as delays continue to hang over Mile End Leisure Centre.
The police officers due to finish their night shift at 7am are also having to stick around until the final results are announced.
The count for the local elections is due to kick-off in only five hours but more delays are expected throughout the day.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 4 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 5 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 6 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute