All hands to the pump to sort ballot papers in Tower Hamlets
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets. Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted c
BALLOT papers are still being checked in the early hours of this morning, 12 hours after polling stations closed in Tower Hamlets.
Council staff are still sorting through the thousands of votes and there was a call for all hands to the pump as exhausted candidates left the election count.
And the 84 counters have been so desperate to get the final results announced by 10am that the council's Returning Officer Kevan Collins, the Head of Communications and two members of his team have been giving them a helping hand.
Party members were predicting the final result would be announced at 4am this morning but the time keeps on being put back as delays continue to hang over Mile End Leisure Centre.
You may also want to watch:
The police officers due to finish their night shift at 7am are also having to stick around until the final results are announced.
The count for the local elections is due to kick-off in only five hours but more delays are expected throughout the day.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom