Allardyce keen on defensive loan trio as well as young Swede
Allardyce interested in three Premier League defenders
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is set to step up his search for a new loan defensive signing this week, with up to three Premier League centre-backs in the frame to join the Hammers.
It is understood that the club are interested in bringing Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha to Upton Park, although it is believed that there are two other stronger contenders – who are yet to be named – also in the frame.
Both of these other candidates are currently contracted to Premier League clubs but are not playing regular first-team football, despite having plenty of top-level experience.
“My main priority is to find a central defender to loan for the next two or three months,” revealed Allardyce, following Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Hull City.
You may also want to watch:
“Abdoulaye Faye and James Tomkins were outstanding against Hull, but they are the only two central defenders we have at the club at the moment, so I have to fill that position and help us carry on this great run of results that we are on.”
One player that the Hammers are definitely understood to be keen on is Swedish winger Mervan Celik.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
The 21-year-old currently plies his trade for GAIS in Gothenburg and scored an impressive 14 goals last season as he guided his club to a fifth-place finish in the Swedish top flight.
Celik, who can play on the right or left-hand side of midfield and has been capped at under-21 level for Sweden, has been linked with Middlesbrough and Fulham, although the Hammers have also watched him and are considering making a move in January.
There was some positive news for the Hammers on the injury front this week, as defender Guy Demel made a welcome return from his hamstring injury to play 45 minutes for the Development Squad in their 2-2 draw at Gillingham.
The young Hammers took the lead through Brian Montenegro, who impressed alongside Cristian Montano, who was recalled from his loan spell at Swindon Town a week early.
After the interval – and once Demel had been taken off – Gillingham scored twice to take a 2-1 lead.
However, in the 93rd minute, 17-year-old Danny Potts equalised from an Olly Lee free-kick.