Ally had no idea what to do on Trafalgar Square’s 4th plinth
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women’s campaigner Ally Steel—who had no idea what she would do up there. The 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame to release 160 balloons—each with a shock fact about women’s health attached
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women's campaigner Ally Steel-who had no idea what she would do up there.
So the 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame between 7am and 8am yesterday (July 29) to release 160 balloons into the air-each with a shock fact about women’s health attached.
She wore a purple costume to support Wellbeing of Women’ after reading about the charity in a Sunday paper glossy mag.
“I found out I’d got a spot on the plinth a few weeks ago but had no idea what I'd do when I was up there,” she admitted.
You may also want to watch:
“I've always wanted to work for a women’s charity-so when I read about the fabulous work the charity does raising funds for research and improving women's health, I offered to help. And here I am!”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
One-in-two women suffer a gynaecological condition at some point in their life, the charity points out.
It has been able to raise the profile on its work thanks to publicity stunts like Ally's on the plinth.
Applications can still be made online here for the remaining three draws for a spot on the fourth plinth.