Ally had no idea what to do on Trafalgar Square’s 4th plinth
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women’s campaigner Ally Steel—who had no idea what she would do up there. The 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame to release 160 balloons—each with a shock fact about women’s health attached
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women's campaigner Ally Steel-who had no idea what she would do up there.
So the 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame between 7am and 8am yesterday (July 29) to release 160 balloons into the air-each with a shock fact about women’s health attached.
She wore a purple costume to support Wellbeing of Women’ after reading about the charity in a Sunday paper glossy mag.
“I found out I’d got a spot on the plinth a few weeks ago but had no idea what I'd do when I was up there,” she admitted.
You may also want to watch:
“I've always wanted to work for a women’s charity-so when I read about the fabulous work the charity does raising funds for research and improving women's health, I offered to help. And here I am!”
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
One-in-two women suffer a gynaecological condition at some point in their life, the charity points out.
It has been able to raise the profile on its work thanks to publicity stunts like Ally's on the plinth.
Applications can still be made online here for the remaining three draws for a spot on the fourth plinth.