Ally had no idea what to do on Trafalgar Square’s 4th plinth
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women’s campaigner Ally Steel—who had no idea what she would do up there. The 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame to release 160 balloons—each with a shock fact about women’s health attached
THE fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square was taken over for an hour by East London women's campaigner Ally Steel-who had no idea what she would do up there.
So the 24-year-old from Kingsland Road in Shoreditch finally decided to use her 60 minutes of fame between 7am and 8am yesterday (July 29) to release 160 balloons into the air-each with a shock fact about women’s health attached.
She wore a purple costume to support Wellbeing of Women’ after reading about the charity in a Sunday paper glossy mag.
“I found out I’d got a spot on the plinth a few weeks ago but had no idea what I'd do when I was up there,” she admitted.
“I've always wanted to work for a women’s charity-so when I read about the fabulous work the charity does raising funds for research and improving women's health, I offered to help. And here I am!”
- 1 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 4 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 7 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 10 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
One-in-two women suffer a gynaecological condition at some point in their life, the charity points out.
It has been able to raise the profile on its work thanks to publicity stunts like Ally's on the plinth.
Applications can still be made online here for the remaining three draws for a spot on the fourth plinth.