Almshouses of widowed poor that stood for nearly three centuries
THESE women posing in 1935 among their flowers lived in the historic Hester Hawes almshouses in London’s East End, which dated back to the 17th century. The almshouses for six poor widows’ were in Bow Lane, now known as Bazely Street, off Poplar’s East India Dock Road, until they were demolished in 1953
THESE women posing in 1935 among their flowers lived in the historic Hester Hawes almshouses in London's East End, which dated back to the 17th century.
The almshouses for six 'poor widows' were in Bow Lane, now known as Bazely Street, off Poplar's East India Dock Road, until they were demolished in 1953.
Hester or Esther Hawes left money in her will for the homes in 1696 and a monthly allowance of half-a-crown (121/2p) for the women, which were charged upon an estate near Poplar Chapel.
The funds have long since been passed to the Parish of Poplar Benevolent Fund 'for the relief of the poor.'
You may also want to watch:
Hester was the daughter of Henry Hall of Blackwall who left her an annuity of �10. Hester married John Craven of Shadwell in 1644, but outlived him. Her second marriage was to Thomas Hawes of Hertfordshire.
In 1685, she bought five tenements with a garden in three-quarters of an acre in Bow Lane. The tenements home were all just one room, with a water pump in the yard.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
But by 1730, court action was being considered to enforce repairs. In the 1850s they were considered unfit for human habitation.
Plans were afoot in 1933 for slum clearance at nearby Commodore Court and the future of the almshouses was uncertain.
Calls were made for the buildings to be preserved because of their historic importance.
The remaining four widows were rehoused in 1937 and the almshouses were sold to Poplar borough council in 1938 for �250.
The almshouses survived another 15 years before finally being pulled down in June, 1953, just days after the Queen's coronation.