Amazing how council has U-turned on cash for housing!
Dear Ed, I WAS amazed to read in Cllr Mark Francis’ article that millions of pounds will be spent bringing council homes up to a decent standard.’ It wasn’t too long ago that Tower Hamlets Council told families no funds would be available to refurbish their homes
I WAS amazed to read in Cllr Mark Francis' article that millions of pounds will be spent bringing council homes up to 'a decent standard' (East London Advertiser Letters, July 23).
It wasn't too long ago that Tower Hamlets Council told families no funds would be available to refurbish their homes. Many fearful that their estate would fall further into disrepair listened to the recommendation to hand over control to private social landlords.
Residents were told only the private sector could raise the necessary funds to refurbish their estates.
You may also want to watch:
It is clear now that thousands of families were duped into handing over their estates to private housing associations, as Mark Francis now reveals funds are available.
Theses private organisations provide a dreadful service. They treat residents and even councillors with contempt.
- 1 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
MP George Galloway's Parliamentary Early Day Motion asking for more accountability for Residential Social Landlords is appreciated. I can assure councilors that many families will not forget being misled and will hold them accountable at the ballot box.
Exmouth Estate, Commercial Road, Stepney