Amazing how council has U-turned on cash for housing!
Dear Ed, I WAS amazed to read in Cllr Mark Francis’ article that millions of pounds will be spent bringing council homes up to a decent standard.’ It wasn’t too long ago that Tower Hamlets Council told families no funds would be available to refurbish their homes
I WAS amazed to read in Cllr Mark Francis' article that millions of pounds will be spent bringing council homes up to 'a decent standard' (East London Advertiser Letters, July 23).
It wasn't too long ago that Tower Hamlets Council told families no funds would be available to refurbish their homes. Many fearful that their estate would fall further into disrepair listened to the recommendation to hand over control to private social landlords.
Residents were told only the private sector could raise the necessary funds to refurbish their estates.
It is clear now that thousands of families were duped into handing over their estates to private housing associations, as Mark Francis now reveals funds are available.
Theses private organisations provide a dreadful service. They treat residents and even councillors with contempt.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 4 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 7 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 8 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
MP George Galloway's Parliamentary Early Day Motion asking for more accountability for Residential Social Landlords is appreciated. I can assure councilors that many families will not forget being misled and will hold them accountable at the ballot box.
Exmouth Estate, Commercial Road, Stepney