Anarchists make splash with Spitalfields punishment’ stocks
ANARCHISTS have been celebrating summer with a bit of a splash in London’s East End with punishment stocks. The Whitechapel Anarchist Group held a traditional summer fair with all the trappings of a fete including conscripted volunteers’ for the stocks
ANARCHISTS have been celebrating summer with a bit of a splash in London's East End with punishment stocks.
The Whitechapel Anarchist Group held a traditional summer fair with all the trappings of a fete including 'conscripted volunteers' for the stocks who then got a thorough soaking.
They also ran traditional coconut shys, tug-o'war, dancing, fancy dress, face painting, five-a-side football and 'pin the tail on the pig'.
The anarchists decided to revive the rebellious spirit of East End carnivals and invited the public to turn up in fancy dress as pirates and vagabonds to Sunday's Spitalfields Fair in Allen Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
In the event, not many people did turn up.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney