Barbecue fire destroys narrowboat in Bromley by Bow
- Credit: Archant
A narrowboat has been destroyed in a fire caused by a barbecue.
Firefighters were called to the blaze in Anderson Square, Bromley by Bow, by the River Lea at 11.44pm on November 4.
Two men fled the moored vessel before the fire brigade got there. Paramedics took one man to hospital.
There were nine calls to report the fire.
Leading firefirefighter Zain-Ul Khan said: “Crews arrived at the scene to find a boat along the canal which was completely alight. Crews worked quickly to bring the fire under control.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really important that you always place barbecues on level ground, far away from anything that can easily catch fire.
“Always make sure barbecues are not left unattended and check they are completely out when you have finished as they can stay hot for a long time.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
“Never burn dangerous items, like aerosol cans, paint tins, batteries or anything else that adds fuel to a fire,” he added.
The fire was under control by quarter to one the next morning. Three fire engines and about 15 firefighters from Poplar, Stratford and Bethanal Green stations attended.