Andrew’s ‘East Ender’ song makes it to Open Mic UK London finals
It has taken Andrew Estephane half-a-century to be recognised as a songwriter with a number about his life in London’s East End when he was living rough.
The 50-year-old has refined his songwriting skills at Crisis Skylight homeless centre in Whitechapel.
He learned this week that he has made it through to the London regional finals of the ‘Open Mic UK 2012’ national talent competition—with his song ‘I’m an EastEnder’.
“I grew up in the East End and this song is about communicating that culture and way of life,” he said. “The feedback and encouragement the staff at the centre have given me has really pushed me on.”
The lyrics are against the backdrop of the summer of sport with the 2012 Olympics which he originally penned with guitar accompaniment—but now it has a whole new arrangement with the help of music tutor Chris Jeep at the Crisis Skylight centre.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew—known on stage as ‘Mc Dekey’—went to Stepney’s Sir John Cass Foundation School as a kid, then got involved in the local night-club scene including Crisis Skylight London, Streetwise Opera and Mile End’s Member leisure centre.
Things are really looking up for Andrew, who has just moved into his own flat in Stepney Green. He is now set to perform at the O2 Arena to a professional panel of judges. His song is online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVddY4IBxsM
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt