Andy Hessenthaler’s Leyton Orient impress in stalemate with Russell Slade’s Charlton Athletic

Leyton Orient boss Andy Hessenthaler looks on (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Leyton Orient boss Andy Hessenthaler looks on (pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Pre-season friendly: Leyton Orient 0 Charlton Athletic 0

Leyton Orient couldn’t break down League One outfit Charlton Athletic, but impressed on their return to Brisbane Road.

Andy Hessenthaler’s men only created a few decent opportunities, but it was their quality of football that caught the eye.

On Russell Slade’s return to E10, it was his old club who looked more sharper, although they failed to apply the finishing touches to some encouraging moves.

Hessenthaler gave seven new signings their first start at Brisbane Road for the visit of the south Londoners.

You may also want to watch:

Callum Kennedy lined up at left-back with Tom Parkes and Yvan Erichot together at the heart of defence.

Sean Clohessy was on the right side of the back four with new recruit Gavin Massey in front of him on the wing.

Most Read

Sandro Semedo, who has impressed throughout the summer, started on the left with Robbie Weir and Liam Kelly together in midfield.

Weir was announced as first-team captain yesterday with Kelly vice-skipper and up front was Jay Simpson and Jordan Bowery.

Russell Slade received a great reception from the O’s fans in attendance when he walked out just before the match.

Charlton got the play underway, but the hosts created the first chance of the game when Massey and Clohessy linked up well.

Massey played the ball through to Bowery, who had beaten the offside trap, but he sliced well wide with just four minutes on the clock.

Orient created another good opportunity with quarter of an hour played when Clohessy crossed into the box.

Simpson, unmarked, could only head over with the centre just too high for last season’s 25-goal forward.

Hessenthaler would have been pleased with the start of his team and they continued to move the ball around impressively.

Simpson held the ball up well, fed Massey and he laid off for Weir, but he dragged wide from just outside the box in the 21st minute.

Less than 60 seconds later and the east Londoners kept on pushing and this time Kelly set up Semedo.

The Portuguese youngsters tested Dillion Philips in the Charlton goal, however the visitors made the next chance.

Parkes was caught on the ball inside his own half and Brandon Hanlon ran towards the O’s goal.

Addicks striker failed to test Cisak, though, and it remained goalless with half an hour played at Brisbane Road.

Orient were looking good from an attacking point of view, but Parkes had struggled at times on the ball.

His partner Erichot, who was given a torrid time at Dover last weekend, looked composed, however, and was showing signs of settling in at E10.

The League Two outfit ended the half strongly against the Londoners in the division above them.

First Simpson had an effort blocked by ex-West Ham United defender Roger Johnson before Kelly tested Phillips with a volley and shortly afterwards the half was brought to a close.

Dean Cox was introduced at the break in place of Semedo as Charlton got the second period underway.

They created the first opportunity in the 51st minute when Callum Harriott saw the run of Oli Muldoon and picked out his team mate.

Muldoon got his effort off first time just inside the box, but it went just wide of Cisak’s goal and remained goalless.

Three minutes later and the Addicks pair linked up again and this time Harriott let fly from 25 yards and Cisak made a fine diving save.

Hessenthaler made four changes in the 61st minute as young goalkeeper Sam Sargeant was introduced for Cisak.

Reece Brown, training with the O’s replaced Parkes while Nigel Atangana and Sammy Moore come on for Kelly and Weir.

Cox was handed the armband and five minutes later Paul McCallum replaced Bowery to make his first appearance at Brisbane Road since September 19.

Both mangers were making numerous changes now and Ollie Palmer was the next to be introduced for the O’s in place of Simpson.

McCallum and Palmer linked up in the 76th minute when the former flicked on to his strike partner.

Palmer cut inside and fired towards the Charlton goal, but could only curl wide from just inside the area.

Massey and Clohessy made way afterwards with youngsters Josh Koroma and Myles Judd getting a chance to impress at Brisbane Road.

The next to come on for the hosts was Josh Doherty with Callum Kennedy making way in the 80th minute before Cox volleyed wide.

Orient pushed for the opener and although McCallum looked sharp, he couldn’t help break the deadlock.

It finished goalless on Slade’s return to E10, but Hessenthaler would have taken plenty of positives away from the match.

Leyton Orient: Cisak (Sargeant 61), Clohessy (Judd 77), Parkes (Brown 61), Erichot, Kennedy (Doherty 80), Massey (Koroma 77), Kelly (Atangana 61), Weir (Moore 61), Semedo (Cox 46), Simpson (Palmer 72), Bowery (McCallum 66).

Unused substitutes: Gnanduillet.

Charlton Athletic: Phillips, Konsa, Teixeira (Thomas 79), Johnson, Fox (Holmes-Dennis 72), Harriott (Ceballos 88), Muldoon, Jackson, Holmes, Novak (Ba 83), Hanlon (Ahearne-Grant 72).

Unused substitutes: Mitov.

Attendance: 1,423 (362 Charlton Athletic supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus