Andy Hessenthaler ‘sorry’ Leyton Orient beaten again at Brisbane Road
- Credit: Archant
O’s boss discusses fans calling for Francesco Becchetti to leave, Nicky Hunt’s injury and Jay Simpson’s return
Andy Hessenthaler apologised to the Leyton Orient supporters after the O’s suffered a third League Two defeat of the season at Brisbane Road.
Tom Eaves scored the only goal of the game for Yeovil Town in the 76th minute in E10 - the east Londoners fourth loss in all competitions in front of the home fans.
When referee Darren Deadman blew the full time whistle some O’s supporters voiced their frustration towards president Francesco Becchetti.
A large number called for the Italian to leave the club and Hessenthaler conceded the performance against the Glovers wasn’t good enough.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I’m used to the fans showing their frustration, we had it last year. They are frustrated like everybody else and disappointed.
“I can understand that and I apologise for today because we wasn’t good enough and they were right for saying that. You have to agree with them on that.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
“But the players don’t go out there to play like that and it is a new group. They are hurting as much as the fans are and we have to get it right for the fans – it is as simple as that.”
Orient’s manager had a chat with Becchetti before coming out and speaking to the press, but revealed the Italian was positive.
The 51-year-old insisted O’s president wanted to remain upbeat, adding: “He is as disappointed as anybody and he wants to win football matches and certainly on our home ground.
“He said ‘it was one of those days, it didn’t happen for us and we have been doing well away from home, but we need to get it right here’.
“And he just said ‘keep your head up, keep positive and we go again during the week and have to try and bounce back next Saturday’. To be fair to him he was excellent.”
What compounded a frustrating afternoon for the east Londoners was what appeared a serious injury to Nicky Hunt.
The ex-Bolton Wanderers right-back was caught late on just before half time and hobbled off down the tunnel as a result.
He was replaced by Aron Pollock at the break and Orient may now need to bring in a free agent to fill the void left by the experienced defender.
“The physio says it is the MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament) so he will have a scan and we’ll know a little bit more by Monday,” said Hessenthaler.
“We are going to have to look at a few situations now and we have a couple of players in the building on trial. We will have a look at them and see what we can do during the week.”
A small positive for the O’s was the return of Jay Simpson - making just his second appearance of the season.
While the ex-Arsenal forward couldn’t find the net, he did have a late effort cleared off the line by Kevin Dawson.
Hessenthaler added: “It was great to see Jay out there and he was bright. To be fair he was probably one of the positives.
“I felt he looked like he was going to open them up and get a goal for us at the death and he’s such a clever player.
“He is back fit now and looked hungry to score during the time he was on so he has certainly put himself in contention for next weekend.”