‘Any Questions?’ hosted at Rich Mix triggers BBC complaint
- Credit: Archant
A formal complaint has been made to the BBC over allegations that a current affairs radio programme lacked impartiality.
Radio 4’s Any Questions? show, recorded at Rich Mix in Bethnal Green last month, triggered a complaint from Tower Hamlets Council’s Conservative group leader Cllr Peter Golds.
The office of Tower Hamlets Independent mayor, Lutfur Rahman, had requested tickets for 10 people to attend the show - and three of them were subsequently chosen to ask questions.
In a letter to the BBC, Cllr Golds expressed “surprise”, adding two of the questioners came from similar backgrounds.
“We had been told that questions would be diverse and represent a range of opinions,”he wrote.
“So questions from two, well-off young men in their early 20s, with very similar political views, came as a surprise.
“One can only assume that diversity was followed in as much that one hails from Kensington and attended Oxford, and the other is from Highgate and attended Cambridge.
- 1 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 4 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 7 Moncur: Leyton Orient is one of best changing rooms I've been in
- 8 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 9 Euro 2022 star's boots to go on show at Tower of London
- 10 Man convicted of stabbing Mohamed Ensser to death on Isle of Dogs
“Once again, there are serious questions as to ‘impartiality’ on a flagship programme covering controversial political subjects.”
The show, recorded at the Bethnal Green Road venue on August 16, featured panellists including former home secretary Jacqui Smith.
A BBC spokesman said the complaint would be dealt with, adding: “To ensure Any Questions? is a fair and balanced programme, audience members are required to declare any political affiliations when submitting questions, and the most pertinent questions are then put to a panel of carefully selected guests from across the spectrum of opinion.”