Armed cops swoop on Isle of Dogs after gunfire is heard
POLICE surrounded a tower block in London’s East End during the night after receiving 20 calls reporting gunfire. Armed cops from Scotland Yard’s crack CO19 were joined by detectives form Limehouse CID at the Quarterdeck estate on the Isle of Dogs
POLICE surrounded a tower block in London’s East End during the night after receiving 20 calls reporting gunfire.
Armed cops from Scotland Yard’s crack SO19 were joined by detectives form Limehouse CID at the 20-storey Topmast high-rise on Millwall’s Quarterdeck housing estate in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs just before midnight (Monday).
“We received 999 calls from people saying they heard shots fired,” said a Scotland Yard official.
“But we found no-one wounded. We have checked hospitals since and there has been no-one reported injured by gunshot.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers searched the grounds of the estate for an hour for any signs of gunfire, but are not thought to have found anything. There were no arrests.
The operation involving SO19 was reported to be routine’ when responding to reports of gunfire. They left the estate when it was declared safe.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Man dies on Isle of Dogs