Around 15,000 pack into beach club on Fish Island for London Olympics opening
Around 15,000 people packed into the East End version of Saint-Tropez for the opening night of the London Olympics.
Forman’s salmon smokery, in Stour Road, on Fish Island, set up a beach club complete with yachts and beach volleyball, sitting alongside hospitality suites for companies to entertain clients and staff during the Games.
The legendary Soho jazz club Ronnie Scott’s is also presenting their All Stars Band every night during the Olympics.
Athletes are expecting to be celebrating their medal wins at the venue overlooking the Olympic Stadium, which has already attracted some famous faces.
Venue owner Lance Forman said: “We’ve had a Saudi Arabian Prince and a US senator, and are expecting to see a lot of athletes.”
But he emphasised that anyone is welcome to join the party, until the venue is full.
Mr Forman said: “We had a magnificent opening night with about 15,000 to coincide with the Olympic opening ceremony.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 3 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 6 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 7 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 8 Man convicted of stabbing Mohamed Ensser to death on Isle of Dogs
- 9 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 10 E-scooter rider named and man arrested over fatal Canary Wharf crash
“Since then it has not been too busy, it’s quite a relaxed atmosphere with people enjoying the beach. We’ve had a Norwegian volleyball team playing here and we’re organising fun competitions between different sports.
“But at the moment it’s a bit like being on holiday, this week is off peak season and next week will be peak season. They are still transforming the Olympic Stadium into the athletics track after the opening ceremony.”
Tickets to the beach club cost �25 online or at the door.
Booking requests can be made nvia www.formansfishisland.com or on 0208 5252 390.
Water Chariots runs a water taxi service between Limehouse and the Olympic Stadium, docking near Forman’s.