Around 15,000 pack into beach club on Fish Island for London Olympics opening
Around 15,000 people packed into the East End version of Saint-Tropez for the opening night of the London Olympics.
Forman’s salmon smokery, in Stour Road, on Fish Island, set up a beach club complete with yachts and beach volleyball, sitting alongside hospitality suites for companies to entertain clients and staff during the Games.
The legendary Soho jazz club Ronnie Scott’s is also presenting their All Stars Band every night during the Olympics.
Athletes are expecting to be celebrating their medal wins at the venue overlooking the Olympic Stadium, which has already attracted some famous faces.
Venue owner Lance Forman said: “We’ve had a Saudi Arabian Prince and a US senator, and are expecting to see a lot of athletes.”
You may also want to watch:
But he emphasised that anyone is welcome to join the party, until the venue is full.
Mr Forman said: “We had a magnificent opening night with about 15,000 to coincide with the Olympic opening ceremony.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 9 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
“Since then it has not been too busy, it’s quite a relaxed atmosphere with people enjoying the beach. We’ve had a Norwegian volleyball team playing here and we’re organising fun competitions between different sports.
“But at the moment it’s a bit like being on holiday, this week is off peak season and next week will be peak season. They are still transforming the Olympic Stadium into the athletics track after the opening ceremony.”
Tickets to the beach club cost �25 online or at the door.
Booking requests can be made nvia www.formansfishisland.com or on 0208 5252 390.
Water Chariots runs a water taxi service between Limehouse and the Olympic Stadium, docking near Forman’s.