Arrests made over New Year's Eve hammer attack in Bethnal Green
COPS investigating a violent hammer attack by a gang of youths on New Year s Eve have made three arrests. Thomas and David Barry both underwent facial reconstruction surgery for a shattered jaw and eye socket after they were beaten by the gang who first a
COPS investigating a violent hammer attack by a gang of youths on New Year's Eve have made three arrests.
Thomas and David Barry both underwent facial reconstruction surgery for a shattered jaw and eye socket after they were beaten by the gang who first attacked Thomas's son and his 16-year-old girlfriend.
The family had been celebrating the New Year in the Angel and Crown pub in Roman Road, Bethnal Green but the peace was shattered when Tomas's son ran into the pub saying he and his girlfriend had been attacked.
Dad Thomas and his brother David rushed outside to help the pair but were set upon by a gang of up to 30 youths armed with hammers. Both men suffered serious facial injuries and needed extensive surgery.
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Iain Harkes clarified that officers are appealing for witnesses to one incident at 10.45pm on New Year's Eve rather than two as previously reported by police.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Det Sgt Harkes on 020 7275 4546 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report