Art on the Underground is on track for public show at City Hall
ELEMENTS of art installations on the London Underground Jubilee Line go on show at City Hall this week. They range from the one-year long projection in Canary Wharf station to portraits of young people living near the Jubilee Line
ELEMENTS of art installations on the London Underground Jubilee Line go on show at City Hall this week.
They range from the massive real-time, one-year long projection in Canary Wharf station to portraits of young people living near the Jubilee Line from Stratford to Stanmore.
The works have been commissioned by Art on the Underground programme from six professional contemporary artists, Nadia Bettega, John Gerrard, Dryden Goodwin, Richard Long, Daria Martin and Matt Stokes, as well as art students from Goldsmith's College.
The artists were asked to respond to ideas around the concept of 'time,' looking back at the history of the Tube, the way it has expanded, the changing shape of London and the population growth.
You may also want to watch:
The themes also embrace passengers' experience of travel, with a Tube journey giving them time to drift into imaginary worlds and take a mental break from daily commuting.
The exhibition of Art in the Underground opens Wednesday (12) at City Hall and runs until June 10.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 9 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip