Artists show off their skill at Canary Wharf ice contest
Some of the most imaginative people creating art out of ice will be working against the clock to show off their skill at the London Ice Sculpting Festival which opens at Canary Wharf this month.
Teams of two will have just tow hours to create the best interpretation of the theme Pedal Power in a contest which kicks off the festival at 3.30pm on Thursday January 13.
All sorts of equipment is used, from powerful chainsaws to delicate chisels. Winners are chosen from an expert judging panel, while visitors vote for a ‘Public’s Choice’ Award.
Previous years’ creations have included human figures, birds, dolphins, London landmarks and a ship’s figurehead that gleamed like crystal in the sunlight.
The festival is held in Canada Square Park and continues until Saturday (January 15).
This year’s theme will be LOVE LONDON! which will also see sculptors competing to showcase different aspects of London.
Festival organiser Carol Cordrey said: “London is world renowned for its music, dance, sport, architecture, business, pageantry, fine art, drama, red buses, shops and restaurants, all of which make it a magnet for visitors. The LOVE LONDON! theme will inspire innovative, exciting works of art for the 2011 London Ice Sculpting Festival.”
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 6 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
And visitors to the show can have their own go at free master classes, supervised by the professionals from The Ice Box. Would-be sculptors over the age of 12 can have fun sculpting polar bears from 30cm blocks of ice.
For those who prefer dancing or skating on ice the Canary Wharf Ice Rink is just next door and is open until February 20.