Artists show off their skill at Canary Wharf ice contest
Some of the most imaginative people creating art out of ice will be working against the clock to show off their skill at the London Ice Sculpting Festival which opens at Canary Wharf this month.
Teams of two will have just tow hours to create the best interpretation of the theme Pedal Power in a contest which kicks off the festival at 3.30pm on Thursday January 13.
All sorts of equipment is used, from powerful chainsaws to delicate chisels. Winners are chosen from an expert judging panel, while visitors vote for a ‘Public’s Choice’ Award.
Previous years’ creations have included human figures, birds, dolphins, London landmarks and a ship’s figurehead that gleamed like crystal in the sunlight.
The festival is held in Canada Square Park and continues until Saturday (January 15).
You may also want to watch:
This year’s theme will be LOVE LONDON! which will also see sculptors competing to showcase different aspects of London.
Festival organiser Carol Cordrey said: “London is world renowned for its music, dance, sport, architecture, business, pageantry, fine art, drama, red buses, shops and restaurants, all of which make it a magnet for visitors. The LOVE LONDON! theme will inspire innovative, exciting works of art for the 2011 London Ice Sculpting Festival.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
And visitors to the show can have their own go at free master classes, supervised by the professionals from The Ice Box. Would-be sculptors over the age of 12 can have fun sculpting polar bears from 30cm blocks of ice.
For those who prefer dancing or skating on ice the Canary Wharf Ice Rink is just next door and is open until February 20.