London City Island's new ballet centre named after Ballymore chairman
- Credit: English National Ballet
A new rehearsal centre which has kept English National Ballet going during the pandemic has been named the Mulryan Centre for Dance after the family of the man who built it.
Sean Mulryan, chairman of Ballymore developers which provided the complex at its London City Island on the Leamouth Peninsula at Blackwall, has been one of the company's main supporters through the crisis.
The ballet company had to cancel all public performances and furlough most of its staff when the Covid lockdown began last year, but its new premises in east London had space to continue rehearsals safely.
It was able to keep to its training regimes despite restrictions, cancellations and lockdowns using seven new rehearsal studios and a fitness and rehabilitation suite.
“This building has transformed the way we work,” English National’s artistic director Tamara Rojo said. “It has provided us with the scale to be more creative and allow our dancers to rehearse safely.”
You may also want to watch:
The complex has a production studio rigged with a technical gallery, lighting and sound so full-scale rehearsals can be staged. The studio has retractable seating for an audience of 175, ready for the 2021-22 ballet season.
It had previously used space next to the Royal Albert Hall before moving to east London.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Tackling Covid blamed for yet more threats to public services
- 3 Windows smashed in Extinction Rebellion protest at Canary Wharf bank HQ
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 7 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 8 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 9 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 10 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting