Batt trick lifts Orient

Shaun Batt fired a hat-trick for Orient at Gillingham (Pic: Simon O'Connor)

Shaun Batt fired a hat-trick for Orient at Gillingham (Pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: Gillingham 1 Leyton Orient 3

Shaun Batt’s hat-trick sent Orient through to the next round after an impressive display at Priestfield.

Batt was handed a starting role by boss Russell Slade, who gave Kevin Lisbie a night off and left his fellow five-goal striker David Mooney resting on the bench.

And the 26-year-old Batt, who joined O’s on a permanent deal from Millwall in the summer after a successful loan spell last season, repaid the faith shown in him with three well-taken goals.

Slade made four changes in total to his starting line-up from Saturday’s win at Colchester, with Marvin Bartley and Johnny Gorman also coming in alongside Batt and debutant Jayden Stockley, following his deadline day loan move from Bournemouth.

But the home side had the first chance of the night as Cody McDonald beat Nathan Clarke only to fire wide.

The 19-year-old Stockley was keen to make his presence felt in the opening stages and looked strong in attack, but Gillingham’s Steven Gregory was booked midway through the half for an over-zealous challenge on Batt.

Most Read

Orient, having just missed out on a trip to Wembley after being beaten in last season’s area final by Southend, took the lead soon after when Romain Vincelot was brought down in the box by McDonald and Batt sent Stuart Nelson the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Gills rallied, with Antonio German seeing a shot blocked by Clarke on 32 minutes and McDonald shooting wide when sent through one on one with Jamie Jones.

But O’s doubled their advantage in first-half stoppage time as Moses Odubajo produced a superb run and cross for Batt to volley home for his second goal of the night.

The visitors went close to a third goal four minutes after the restart after Vincelot picked out Gorman on the left and his cross flew across the face of goal without finding a willing taker.

Stockley made his way into the referee’s book for kicking the ball soon after but made amends just before the hour with a through ball for Batt, who beat Leon Legge and then slotted past Nelson to complete his hat-trick.

Batt made way for David Mooney on 65 minutes and Gills pulled a goal back soon after as Bradley Dack ghosted in at the far post to nod home after McDonald’s glancing header.

O’s keeper Jamie Jones was cautioned for his protests, claiming offside after conceding for only the sixth time in eight matches this season.

And there were further bookings for Vincelot and Odubajo in injury time before in-form O’s could celebrate their seventh win of the campaign in all competitions.

Gillingham: Nelson, Martin, Legge, Harryman, Barrett, Whelpdale (Weston 67), Gregory (Allen 46), Dack, Hollands, McDonald, German (Kedwell 74). Unused subs: Howard, Davies.

Orient: Jones, Omozusi, Vincelot, Baudry, James, Odubajo, Batt (Mooney 65), Clarke, Gorman (Cuthbert 82), Bartley (Cox 90), Stockley. Unused subs: Larkins, Lee.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter