BBC documentary puts Brick Lane in the spotlight tonight
A documentary about the East End s famous curry lane is being shown on BBC Two this evening. The last of the seven-part series Saving Britain s Past is called The Street and will explore the past and present of Brick Lane. The Times newspaper s architect
A documentary about the East End's famous curry lane is being shown on BBC Two this evening.
The last of the seven-part series Saving Britain's Past is called The Street and will explore the past and present of Brick Lane.
The Times newspaper's architecture critic, Tom Dyckhoff, will tell the lane's story through the people who've lived, worked and played there, and claim it as their home.
The lane has probably absorbed more communities than any other from the Huguenots to the Jews to the currently predominant Bangladeshis community.
You may also want to watch:
As it becomes a desirable address rather than a merely poor one, a vigorous contest has arisen about its heritage.
The episode investigates how residents view the area and its buildings from the owners of the desirable 18th century houses in Spitalfields to the Bangladeshi restaurant owners.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
The film also examines the price some residents believe the fabric of Brick Lane has paid for its state of constant cultural flux.
The programme is being shown at 7.30pm.