Bengal opera at Rich Mix about class struggle takes leaf from medieval fairly tales
- Credit: Bangla Drama
A traditional rural theatre of ancient Bengal that uses hunting for story-telling through folk opera and dance in a theatrical setting comes to Bethnal Green tomorrow.
The Sunday night performance of Beder Meye Jusna being staged at the Rich Mix arts centre is part of a season of Bangla drama.
It’s about the class struggle, adapted from the pre-medieval fairly tales by poet Ahmed Kaysher, delineating power, capital and class-struggle of the modern world-politics through a stormy love-story of feudal society of medieval Bengal.
This Bengali opera, narrated in English, features the cast in different roles of singing, playing and acting.
“This genre is something new in World music, stage director Ahmed Kaysher says. The class-conflict of Beder Meye Jusna was hugely popular in Bengal in late Seventies and Eighties, but is dying in its country of origin.
You may also want to watch:
“Yet amazingly it’s being loved in the West for its capacity to involve different arts.”
He is hoping for a mixed audience “from different cultures” to see performances by Sonia Sultana, Sarwar Alam, Sohel Ahmed, Amalendu Podder, Amith Dey, Jessy Barua, Fahim, Shamim Shahan, Sajjad Miah, Rahel Chowdhury and Sohel Miah
The opera staged at Rich Mix in Bethnal Green Road, two minutes from Shoreditch High Street (Overground), begins 7.30pm.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze